PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the bubble box

jjblaze
07-20-2008, 10:59 PM
bubble man, i was wondering what you think is the best technique for cleaning the three screens in the bubble box. usually i just blow on them to get out everthing that sticks in the screens, but even then i still see a good amount of contaminents in the screens. i have always been afraid to use water or alcohol on the screens, so what do you suggest?

Bukket
07-21-2008, 03:41 AM
Hey JJ, I haven't got a bubble box but with my kif box I just take the screens after every use and wash thoroughly with cold water, seems to keep the screens clean and keeps it with that nice look too.
-Bukket

jjblaze
07-22-2008, 06:16 PM
what about getting the wood wet, will that cause warping or anything

Bubbleman
07-23-2008, 01:16 AM
yeah i would just use forced water , ie cold water, and blow it thru the screens. I guess i am lucky enough that when my screens get bad i just replace them, but for those of you that dont have as much screen as I, do what bukket says.
Shouldnt warp the wood, dont soak the thing in water, just force water over the holes of the screen.

Peace
Bubble man

jjblaze
07-24-2008, 09:25 PM
preciate it, and by the way. how much are replacement screens for the bubblebox.

Kif it Kunta
07-25-2008, 01:26 AM
I highly recommend not using water to clean the mesh as some will get on the frame and this may cause warping or joint opening...never use water on any joined wooden item

Water on unlacquered wooden items might cause warpage ...even if you try not to get any on there, if you are runng water through the meshes then you will probably wet the wood .... but although with a screen frame wood like pine that is more impervious to moisture related problems than other wood types, do not clean the mesh with water or you might cause problems..anyway, the stuff stuck on the mesh is mostly alcohol soluble, not water soluble ..alcohol disolves and or washes away the stuff stuck to the meshes.

the best way I've found to clean the screen frames is with a large plate, a small soft paint brush and alcohol. place each frame over the plate or tray then paint the mesh with the alcohol, then flip it over and repeat....use a magnifying glass to monitor your work to make sure all the gunk has been washed off, alc will not hurt the mesh or the wooden frame and will disolve and evaporate...many wood stains are alcohol based and the type of synthetic mesh used on the Bubble Box (or at least the one I have) is not affected by alcohol..but of course, just to be sure, spot test a small area first and if the mesh doesn't dissolve or melt the mesh, then go ahead and use iso to clean the meshes.

the alcohol on the plate can be evaporated, dried and used (if you are into that)..but unless the meshes are thoroughly blocked up and gunky, the returns are very low and probably not worth the hassle.....

another way to clean the meshes is with compressed air..which is quick, but not quite as good as using a brush and alc..although brushing with alc then quickly using compressed air immediately after will work best to get those meshes clean and looking like new again

if the screen frames get grimy with resin you can sandpaper them clean ..but be careful you do not rip the meshes with the sandpaper..easier than you expect as sandpaper has sharp edges! (so place a sheet of cardboard cut to size over the mesh when sanding the wooden frames..then iso/compressed air to clean)..or don't clean the wooden frames and let them develop a nice resiny patina!

also... make sure the lacquered exterior of the Bubble box does not come into contact with alcohol or you will mark the finish. To clean the exterior of the box, use a fine furniture polish and a soft cloth (without stitching, as this will scratch or mar the surface) and buff to a high shine. ..if you don't have a furniture polish then use a dry damp soft rag with a very tiny amount of soap to remove the finger prints and grime, then quickly buff with a dry soft cloth with a circular motion..again ..make sure the cloth is grit free and does not have stitching or you will scratch the high gloss finish which would be tragic

Acid from the fingertips can tarnish the plated metal fittings, lock plate, keys etc..more so with certain people and in certain areas, so try not to handle them or touch too much if you can and wipe clean with a dry cloth immediately if they get greasy fingerprints on them

the acrylic catching plate (is fitted originally, as it will not break during shipping) can be replaced with glass, but make sure the glass is the same thickness as the original acrylic plate or you might damage the hinges/screws when shutting the lid.

and of course do not lift up the box by the lid or try to push the lid back further than it is meant to open or you might wrench out the hinge screws...but you knew that already, didn't you!

I love my Bubble box..but I'd buy a 4 screen version (the new screen mesh size could be inbetween the current middle and bottom mesh sizes and the top mesh screen could be stainless steel mesh) if it was available..

thenewguy
09-19-2008, 07:44 PM
i use a new toothbrush to clean the screen, both sides. if there is still shit in the screen, i usually spray it down with some alcohol and use a cloth or paper towel to remove the alcohol. then i allow it to air dry. if you use a paper towel and there are some particles left behind, simply blow the particles out and it should be all cleaned.

Jane Doe
12-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Hey thanks for the helpfull tips TNG but why do so much work? I had mine for a couple of yrs and they still looked brand new. All I do is rinse and dry the washer and the bags rinse them inside and out then hang them inside out not touching each other tell dry!

YukonBikerGuy
12-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Jane, you are speaking of the screens in Bubblebags, they are talking about cleaning the screens in the Bubblebox, slightly different animals.

Hey thanks for the helpfull tips TNG but why do so much work? I had mine for a couple of yrs and they still looked brand new. All I do is rinse and dry the washer and the bags rinse them inside and out then hang them inside out not touching each other tell dry!