PDA

View Full Version : get Full Melt from normal hash or surface bubble (Rosin)

wicked_clown
07-30-2008, 10:00 PM
hey, i wasnt really sure where to put this, as it isnt dry sift, and it isnt ice water extraction.... i guess it would be hot water hashoil extraction from hash (***NO SOLVENTS***)

anyways i found this while wandering around icmag.com. The guy who figured it out calls it "Rosin"

basically you take a pyrex dish, or metal bowl, and heat it up double boiler style. then you take it off the heat, put your keif or hash (it works faster with keif, but you can use broken up hash) into it, and start mixing it around a bit until it starts to heat up a bit and get gummy.

Then when it starts to stick together, you start rubbing the hash on the dish. not to hard, not to soft. if you pess too soft, and nothing happens, press too hard and the hash itself sticks to the dish, and then you have to get the hash off. what you want is kind of a thin oil looking amber coloured film to build up. if the dish gets too cold, you might have to reheat the bowl to get the film the keep building up

anyways, once the bowl is completely coated in a film that kinda looks amber, get ALL the little peices of hash (yes even the really really small peices) that have broken off and put them back into the main ball. then you get out your razor blade, and scrape off the amber colour film, and there you have it, you now have a little peice of full melt. Now do it over and over again until your peice of hash doesnt leave any more film on the dish.

as for what you can expect for a yeild.... well.... for my first try doing this, which was yesterday. i put 3.5g of 25u decent surface melt bubble in the dish yesterday, and i got 1.2g of full melt out of it, and the 2.3g of 25u hash that is left over still bubbles... sooo im gunna throw the rest of it in tonight and see how much more i can get out of it

there is only 2 problems with this method.... Time and Effort.... it took an hour last night to get 1.2g (keep in mind it was my first try, and i imagine next time will be faster cuz i know what it should look like on the dish), and you have to sit overtop of boiling water for that whole time, so it gets a little warm as well.... for myself, i find its worth it to do for personal amounts.... as for larger amounts.... well i guess it depends on how much you like full melt :)

it also seems that you can "re-rosinate" rosin, as on the "how-to" thread on icmag it shows him do just that, he takes a peice of the "rosin", and re-does it, and the final product is a complete different colour than the origonal "rosin"

anyways, here is the link in case you wanna see pictures
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=21325&highlight=rosin

he has some beautiful fullmelt shots of that stuff (the best pics of the rosin are at the end of the first post, and also on the 4th post of the thread)

keep in mind that obviously THE HASH THAT YOU USED TO MAKE THE ROSIN WILL NOT BE AS GOOD AS IT WOULD HAVE BEEN IF YOU DIDNT MAKE THE ROSIN, and the more rosin you take out, the worse that hash will be. however, like i said, last night i got 1.2g of full melt from 3.5g of surface bubblehash so far, and the remaining 2.3g of bubblehash still has lots of surface bubble, and is still good hash (better than anything u can buy anyways)

Best of all, it doesnt use any nasty solvents!!!! woohoo

- please note that according to the originator, this method apparently DOESN'T work with GREEN hash ( i suspect that the thc melts, and then instead of transfering to the dish, it gets absorbed back into the plant matter) so you might not wanna waste your time with greenish hash - although im sure none of you have green hash anyways ;)

ill throw up some pics of my origonal hash, the rosin, and the hash after removing the rosin when i get home and finish extracting the rest of it tonight

This is my first experience with Full Melt, and i gotta say that after smoking some of it, I will definatly be finally getting around to buying some bags on payday. Between any full melt bubble that you might get from the 73u and 90u bubblebags, plus extracting rosin from all the other keif from the other filters, im gunna be one happy guy, and i'll never have to smoke solvent based product again WOOHOO;)

anyone ever try this before? or more importantly, does anyone know a similar method that works as well, but isnt as time consuming?

Green Supreme
08-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Nice w_c. I have heard of this product before but never knew the how to's of it. Thanks for sharing. Peace GS

Bubbleman
08-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Yeah thanks for sharing indeed. If you can get some photos and throw em up that would be cool to.
I saw this on icmag a while back and heard hashbean talk about it.

I have enough non melty bubble that i really should try it lol

Peace
Bubble man

Green Supreme
08-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Yo Bubs if ya do, please document. Peace GS

hash*_*bean
08-04-2008, 08:14 PM
i hope to make a video on it next week i have just been wating for my new hig def video cam im getting it this week so i recon i will make the video next week
when i do so i will be sure to throw a link here

comphashon
08-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Hello fellow fullmelters...
its good to see the info on rosin making its way into the cannabis community! the first time i ever extracted rosin from hash (and actually smoked it) i almost fell over from one of the first crazy rosin headrushes i had!!! i went over to a buddies place to show him and he was amazed!! then i knew i was on to something really special as he is a real resin head!! this shit fucks you up!!! i have made a lot of amazing full melt dry sift in my day from a lot of strains (most all you can get full melt in ideal conditions) and the best of the best stacked up with rosin.... so the nice thing about this rosin tech is that you can get the best full melt experience from hash that isnt full melt. doesnt bubble...its worth the trouble to make some rosin! i will agree that it is a simple extraction method that does take time(you do get quicker at it as you learn) and it would be nice to have a better method to do this non solvent based extract. i am up for hearing ideas and suggestions to make this process easier and more effective...please share as i did for the gain of knowledge and experience of all of us heads!
c

Bubbleman
08-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Hey welcome to the site compashon, i am really happy to see your information being posted.
Please any photo essays you want to share with us , do so, we always enjjoy a good photo essay>
I will try and get around to this for not only the photo essay, but also to get some sick macro shots of the procedure, i suspect what is happenig is the wax membranes that hold the cannabinoid profile as well as all the volatile oils is being squeezed out. Leaving the wax membrane behind and extracting the oils. Very cool shots for sure, mouthwatering.
hope to see you around more often.

Peace
Bubble man

comphashon
08-05-2008, 01:03 AM
thanks bubbleman,i will start a rosin thred when i get a few...i m not exactly sure on what is happening in this process but its like a simple distillation or dry distilation...when you reach the right temp it vaporizes the most volatile terpenes (you can smell them pretty strong)and in the process it leaves the smear of high thc mixture behind(its oily at first then as it cools it dries out) some contaminant (if you can call hash that!!) can be in the mix so i am always careful to just get the oily goods as per making the best full melt rosin i can... sometimes its gummy and other times its powdery...not sure whats up with that strain maybe??? i know that if your hash has a bit of stickiness it will make rosin...if your hash is totally dry and powdery it might not...but its worth trying if you want a few hits of cream fullmelt!!!
c

MattHatter
08-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Great post!! I will definitely give this a go. I hope some new ideas pop into this thread, saving some time would be great but eh, if im high enough who cares how long it takes! Thanks for the info IC buddy, I dont know how I missed this on IC.

cannawerks
03-11-2011, 08:55 AM
why couldnt a digital hot plate be used instead heated water? just a thought. p

paultheghost
04-09-2011, 09:17 PM
why couldnt a digital hot plate be used instead heated water? just a thought. p
I think it would work well to use a hot plate, but a smaller majority of people have a hot plate compared to the people that can make a hot water bath.

faintfuzzies
05-13-2011, 05:01 AM
I looked it up and does understand hows rosin is made?

AlexParadis
05-14-2011, 07:30 PM
hand rubbed hash can give rosin if you wash out of your sticky hand all the squished trichome . only the sticky oil will stay on your skin . the taste is always intense and give big rush.

Psuper
05-16-2011, 09:44 PM
I haven't been able to give this a try yet, but I've been thinking of trying it inside of a hot vegetable oil bath instead of water--- I would monitor the temperature of the oil with a thermometer.

When I eventually get around to doing this Iam going to try with the oil first at 212°F (100°C) and than at a slightly higher temperature, somewhere in the 220°-250°F range.

I might also use a pyrex dish instead of a steel bowl.

It would be really interesting to measure the surface temperature of the bowl being used (with an infrared thermometer) while rubbing the same starting material on the same bowl at different surface temps.

Perhaps individual strains/different starting material/different qualities of starting material will collect rosin better than others at different surface temps on the bowl--- when we determine if this is true we can give a temperature range to the rosin worker at home who will take two or three small samples of the given starting material and conduct small "test-runs" at two or three different surface temperatures of the collection bowl, measuring temps with an infrared thermometer.

Perhaps the temperature range is small, right around 212°F, and the boiling water thus provides a convenient way to stay around a desirable temp range. But the best temperature for collecting rosin might acutally be found in a relatively wide temp range, perhaps something like 190°-250°F (87°-121°C).

Any thoughts on this?

AlexParadis
05-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Psuper According to robert connell clarke, 100 °c to 200 °c is where the most volatile terpenoid start to vaporize. So its best to keep the process under 100°c .

dubplatekilla
12-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Can anyone tell me what the return on this is? I've been doing a lot of reading on this technique but I can't seem to find anything on what is lost.

Kush&OJ
01-03-2012, 02:48 AM
Judging by what the OP was saying he got easily 50% return like any extraction your end material will always be determined by what your starting material was

TheHashCollector
07-02-2012, 08:49 PM
First things first, big thank you and major props to comphashon for SHARING the technique...

All too often we have members of the medical marijuana/hash community find a technique or a strain and instead of sharing, they hog it and turn into little potsnobs!!<<< u all know who u are....

The main reason ofcourse is monetary gain. They want to make sure that noone can make the product they are selling and undercut their profit margins.,,,sounding a little too corporate if u ask me...

Anywho, after reading the step by step, i busted out a half gram each of some semi melty skywalker and GDP. Combined them, poured some hot water in a frying pan, put a pyrex dish over it and off I went...(althought the initial instructions said that lower grade hash or kif and non melty hash are better for this technique. Cant really comment cuz ive only done it once and with only the semi melty hash i had available.
Will update after i do some more runs....

The hash was fairly gummy to begin with but after a minute over the hot plate it got even gummier and began sticking to the spoon.

From this experience i noticed that rubbing the hash produced less rosin then pressing it<<almost like dabbing....the hash spreads all over the spoon, creating a larger surface area. I then press lightly and kind of roll the spoon to get as much of the hash as possible to come in contact with the glass. This leaves a cloudy/white/ grayish film on the glass.<<<thats the rosin
*dont press too hard cuz this will cause some of the hash to get stuck to the rosin and plate.

I also found that u can build up the rosin film quicker by dabbing the same general area as opposed to trying to cover the whole pyrex dish. The stickiness of the rosin film attracts more rosin .... (same thing, be gentle as to not get hash stuck in there).

After a few scrapes i take the now thinly flattened hash off the bottom of the spoon, squish a few times in order to get the part of the hash that has more remaining oils in it to the surface. Then i start pressing again with the spoon.

It does appear that u can get quite a bit of this rosin/oils out of the hash. I did 6 rounds of pressing and scraping, which netted about .3 of a gram from 1 gram of hash. The hash used is by no means done producing rosin. It appears that it can go at least another 4 or 5 rounds and net another .2 at the least...so based on these figures i would have to say that a return of 50% is not an exaggeration but the norm.

For my next rosin run im planning on flattening out a spoon in order to create more surface area and because that way i dont have to roll the spoon head from side to side which can leave hash remnants.

The finished product came out looking like some fine bubble mixed with a budder/oil. While its still warm it is very sticky and gooey. As soon as it cools down it becomes very stable. The hash i sued was fairly dark in color and the rosin came out at least a few shades lighter.

Potency is off the charts! Light smokers and beginners should be very careful. The taste ofcourse is governed by the taste of ur starting hash to some degree. My rosin had a very strong acrid hashy taste. I also had this tingling sensation that coated the mouth after exhaling...
With most rosin, i would imagine the taste being not very pleasant and at times off putting/too strong.

The effects are immediate and very heavy, almost overwhelming at first. This is one of the last few remaining one hitter quitters in my humble opinion. The effects are also very long lasting--almost like an edible high where u hit the peak and just stay there.

A great experience and a wonderful new concentrate for people to enjoy...thanks again

TheHashCollector
07-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Can anyone tell me what the return on this is? I've been doing a lot of reading on this technique but I can't seem to find anything on what is lost.

Keep in ind ive only done one run so far....

The return seems to be close to 50%, plus the hash used can then be used in other creations like cooking, creams, tincturesetc...u can even use them to increase the potency and return of oil runs.

allheads
12-16-2012, 09:40 PM
would this be tougher/is it still worth doing just a little bit if the bubble you want to use is already basically clear dome?