PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on long term storage

ModernCannabist
02-22-2013, 04:05 AM
I'm not sure this was posted in the correct section, If I made a mistake please feel free to let me know.

I'm sure many of you have come into the same question I have, of how do I store hashish for long term. Well, thinking allot about it, it seemed the biggest things you could do would be to protect against heat, oxygen, moisture, and light. So I got to thinking what if you used the rigid containers used in food industry to create a vacuum sealed environment? Specifically, if you got one with a gas injection port, so nitrogen could be used to flush the oxygen out of the chamber when sealed. (I think the Gastronorm is a good example of this). It would seem that with there large size (akin to a Tupperware container) you could keep them in a cool dark place for an extremely long amount of time.

Any thoughts?

ModernCannabist
02-22-2013, 06:46 AM
Does that come up as just symbols for everyone else?

Herbaloaf
02-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Plastic and rubber containers are not good for storage because certain volatile terpens in the resin may act as solvents and dissolve the container. The seals in lids of glass canning jars are also susceptible to solvent action. Excessive storage time even at temps below freezing will lead to loss of flavor and potency. Resin powder loses potency more slowly than pressed hash.

I think there are some businesses in CA or CO that will nitrogen pack your cannabis products for a fee. The Afghans would aged some of their hash for 7 years before smoking. Maybe someone that has smoked some of the(at least) 15 year aged dry sift can chime in on the subject and how that stuff tasted.

All those weird letters are from a spammer. Ignore em. It will be removed shortly. Welcome to the forums.

ModernCannabist
02-22-2013, 04:42 PM
I can see that, though many of these containers are food grade steel, with a plastic lid that fits safety regulation for the food industry. Outside of that, as far as I knew the most volatile out of them (the general Terpene profile) is D-Limonene, something used as both a food grade extract, and too clean kitchen equipment; though I could be wrong.

And wouldn't the terpenes need to become 'air-born' or bound to oxygen (oxidized terpenoids at that point) to become anywhere near high enough levels to react with a container, and with a nitrogen flush you've pushed out the oxygen. Perhaps I'm wrong here, but love to hear more thoughts on the actual science behind it.

Also note I didn't recommend freezing, this is because ice crystals form, damaging the terpenes / natural sugars in the hash, that's why I keep mine at 34 degrees.

Thanks for the response :) Glad to be here.