PDA

View Full Version : New Bubble bowl design...

Bubbleman
10-06-2008, 05:01 PM
well for the past few weeks, i have been trying to design the new bubble bowl for the custom bubbleman edition ROOR.
Am working with ROOR DE. of course, and trying to create a really killer bowl>
They have sent me some prototypes, which i will post here later today.
I also have a local glass blower doing some work on it as well.
What i wanted to do here, was touch base with some of the other glass blowers, and hash smokers alike, and get a discussing on what is the ideal bowl for you?
For me its simple, i need something i can SEE into while im hitting. so not to close that my eyes are gonna cross.
I need for the screen to be higher up in the bowl than lower down, as well as a lip to hold the screen in. I have tried screen notches and don't like their look or design> am much more partial to a lip that goes all the way around the inside of the bowl
I like for the screen to sit high so i can take nice photos, as well as really watch the hash dance and melt around the bowl.
I am not sure if i am more into the bent bowl or the bowl with that is pushed in at an angle so it looks bent while in the bowl> ( will show photos of these as well)

Just kinda wanted to get a discussion going with you guys, to see if you had any other cool idea's, or concepts.

Let me know what you think guys... and gals

Bubble man

Green Supreme
10-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Seems the size of the bowl hole is important too. Need something that can be drawn through that doesn't restrict flow. About the lip, I have found at times people don't finish their hit because part is caught under the lip and hard to get a light too. Very smart idea for a thread dude. Good luck. Peace GS

Bubbleman
10-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah the hole size is definitly going to be the deciding facter. If i go with a vase style bowl, the hole has to be perfect size. otherwise the bent bowl pinched neck will have to be the perfect size.
many have asked me if i don't think its maybe pointless to have a pinched neck or small bowl on an 18.8mm. I think most of these people are smoking herb thru their bong, and not bubble.
I want this bowl to specificaly for melty bubbs. Of course non melty will smoke fine thru it as well, but the initial desing will be for melt.
Here are a few pics of the bowls i was going to show.

You can see the original bent roor bowl for bubble is literealy 18.8 thru and thru

http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///IMG_3300Large.jpg

> The problem with this design, when smoking bubble off a screen, is you get to much oxygen mixing in with the hit, and it lights the hash on fire. usualy shooting a large flame down the downstem, and literaly taking away most of the hit. this has been a pet peeve of mine since i first got my bent bowl> now i noticed once the screen would build up and get more and more carbon and ash on it, the less the bowls would ingnite.
So i decided to try some pinchs versions.
Martin from ROOR in germany had these two sent out, based on some work trichomefarmer and them did with R and D.

The problem i found with this first one, is that although the pinch bent neck was nice, the actual top of the bowl had this insane lip of glass, that made it so no normal size finger could even access the screen. I like to be able to have my screen sit a lot higher, and be accesable.
http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///IMG_3303Large.jpg

http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///IMG_3305Large.JPG

The second version was a two piece, and although i enjoyed the bowl a little more as it opened upwards, and was easily accesible with a really nice lip inside the bowl th at help the screen perfect. ( a realy small lip that aside from minor build up, no room for actual hash to get stuck in). H owever the secondary piece was no necesarry, its to small of a neck for the bowl. I find that after one single hit, half my hit had condensed into oily residue on the inside.
this bowl would require cleaning more than any other bowl i have ever smoked out of. thus making it not an ideal candidate for the bubbleman edition bowl.

http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///IMG_3296Large.jpg

Then i have some marbleslinger bowls i got from him years ago> I wanted a bowl that was basicaly a bubble bowl, but instead of a bent neck, the bowl is pushed into the top of the bowl instead of the middle. So you get this offset bowl that sits upright.
decent design, but at the at time, the hole slinger put in was a little small for my likes. Thus i havent used the bowls much>
Perhaps this design with a bigger hole will be the trick> i have cool liquid working on that as i type...

http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///IMG_3298Large.JPG

http://www.fullmeltbubble.com/gallery/files/3///IMG_3299Large.JPG

anyway comment away people, any idea's will be muchly appreciated, Idealy those who are smoking melt would post some idea's to.as i find its easy to come up with an idea either way, but those who smoke melt out of a bong, may have a slight advantage.
LEts see....

Bubble man

Kman
10-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Whats up Bubbleman I have to show you this bowl I got from Higher End about 3 weeks ago. I've used many different bowls from Roor, Slinger, etc. over the years and although this bowl aint pretty, it beats them all hands down IMO...well when it comes to the meltiest bubbs anyways. I have smoked some VERY melty hash with it over the past couple of weeks and I havnt had a single problem with it!:) such as hash melting around the edge of the screen and flames going down your bowl, which happens sometimes with Roor bowls if you dont put 2 or 3 screens in it. With this bowl only one screen is needed each time, no problem.:smoke1: Its to bad I dont have any MFCD left to take some pics. But I managed to scrape a bowl together from my spoons that were sitting in the freezer. No clear domes but this hit puddled instantly...Its kind of hard to tell from my photos cuz I have a crappy camera.

YukonBikerGuy
10-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Pulls up a stump, some dry sift, and a non specalized bowl to watch the developments...

Like the screen notch idea, high up, and accessible, and fingerable. Being able to see into the bowl without crossed-eyes or torching your forehead is also a plus.

*Puts out his flaming dry sift & smoldering forehead........

Bubbleman
10-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Nice Kman, i have seen that bowl. Its very simliiar to the marble slinger design, with notches, and no colours.
I have a glass blower blowing some simliar designs right now, one which is like that bowl but instead of one single hole in the bottom it has three holes a little higher up the bowl , kinda where those notches are, but lower.
It works excellent for hotrod hits. ie heating up glass rods or ceramic rods and placing into the bowl> will take some shots soon.
but havent really tried it yet with an actual flame, i think it will be Glass rod specific.
I do like the idea of having a few bowls that are specific for certain ways of puffing.
thanks for sharing kman.
can't wait to to have this bowl release.....

peace
Bubble man

Kman
10-07-2008, 01:34 AM
Its kind of hard to tell in my photos but the bowl has two different levels.(best shown in the 3rd pic) The first level holds the screen in a bowl like curv, keeping your melty hash in the middle of the screen. There is a lip to keep the screen in but it seems like the notches also help keep the screen tightly in place with no jiggle. The second level does not touch the screen, making a better air flow. I think this design would work a lot better with 2 or 3 holes but it works fine with just the 1. The curve in the neck is nice aswell, allowing you to watch your bubbs dance. I hope this helps you BM with your design

When I finished posting this I seen that BM had posted just a couple of minuites before. haha kind of funny how you had the same idea with the 3 holes. Anyways I'll leave this info here for anyone who hasnt seen these bowls before.

YukonBikerGuy
10-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Actually Bubbleman, I have one of those hotrod specific bowls on the way from Hef, I'll throw some shots up when it arrives.

oldmanmozz
10-07-2008, 05:20 AM
Pulls up a stump, some dry sift, and a non specalized bowl to watch the developments...

Like the screen notch idea, high up, and accessible, and fingerable. Being able to see into the bowl without crossed-eyes or torching your forehead is also a plus.

*Puts out his flaming dry sift & smoldering forehead........

Ill bring some warm roadkill, few buds, an pull up stump with yukon, most interesting.
Whatever the end result, i want one (as would few ppl here im sure)
I have g-spot pure bowl and roor screen notch bowl in transit now, good tip put more than 1 screen in cheers.

cheers beers an cones mozza

oldmanmozz
10-07-2008, 05:26 AM
hhmmm mozz makes note to self, must put more money in paypal, fuck, aussie dollar lowest in 20 year, beauty. hhmmm means gotta deposit more. :chillpill:

alteredreality
10-07-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm gonna say the same as Kman-I love extract slides with that style of push. Having used both the Roor bubble bowl as well as Illadelph and Blade extract slides with the extract push I really prefer the greater restriction of that push. If you don't like glo rods, you could use a hakko or a beeline also I imagine to get the full melt bubblin. I would take a look at the Illadelph design as far as what works well-bent neck with a deep push that is in fact a second piece of glass welded in so no product winds up running through the holes around the crown of the push.

eastghost
12-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Ive seen an extract bowl that had three holes as opposed to the normal one, and they were positioned around the sides of the bowl well below the screen notch. cant remember who made it, but it worked great imho, no flame can shoot down the stem, and the screen was easily accessable and visible. someone mentioned a similar bowl higher up, and i know it could be hit with lighter, maybe a design to consider if this is still goin on... i know the threads old...

Hennessy1414
12-14-2008, 06:23 AM
hhmmm mozz makes note to self, must put more money in paypal, fuck, aussie dollar lowest in 20 year, beauty. hhmmm means gotta deposit more. :chillpill:
im sorry man

all love the mighty $

:rolloverdead:

Aqua Lab Tech
12-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Whats up Bubbleman I have to show you this bowl I got from Higher End about 3 weeks ago. I've used many different bowls from Roor, Slinger, etc. over the years and although this bowl aint pretty, it beats them all hands down IMO...well when it comes to the meltiest bubbs anyways. I have smoked some VERY melty hash with it over the past couple of weeks and I havnt had a single problem with it!:) such as hash melting around the edge of the screen and flames going down your bowl, which happens sometimes with Roor bowls if you dont put 2 or 3 screens in it. With this bowl only one screen is needed each time, no problem.:smoke1: Its to bad I dont have any MFCD left to take some pics. But I managed to scrape a bowl together from my spoons that were sitting in the freezer. No clear domes but this hit puddled instantly...Its kind of hard to tell from my photos cuz I have a crappy camera.

Looks like the R1 Concentrate Bowl!! All you need is a .009 Mesh Ti-Screen and you are in Hash Smoking Heaven.

Aqua Lab Tech

legion
12-18-2008, 03:28 PM
I like the angle to make it level.. but that's only as good as the angle of the stem. I like the bubble one (might suit you also). I like the tabs that hold the screens so they don't pop out. The rest is all function. I'm a function over fashion guy.. I don't care what it looks like if it don't work. ;) So, your field testing is the biggest input. Figure out what one works the best and they can make it 'look' like anything.

I use to do QA for a robotics company.. I'm all about testing and feed back. :D

Good stuff!