PDA

View Full Version : When To Flower & How Long

Bullethead21
10-15-2008, 04:22 PM
What is the average time to bump down the lighting to start flowering mode? Currently I read at most sites that plants are suppose to be getting around 18 hours of light and 6 hours in the dark for vegetation mode. How long you supose to stay in veg mode before changing light time for flower mode?

I have read that depending on which type of herb plant you are growing will determine the amount of time to jump down to and for how many weeks to make herbal plants flower?

Any thought or tips on this?

Green Supreme
10-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Have heard of seed and cuts going straight into flower and working{Not with all strains though}. If you have seedlings it would probably be better to wait till they show signs of maturity. Many strains will show sex upon maturity{even in veg} Personally I veg on a 24 hour schedule. In the end I feel it comes down to room available, as most folks don't have room for big pants anyways. You see its the stretch you need to consider. Many strains will stretch when put into flower. This need to be considered as height will likely dictate plant size. Some sativas double in height, while some indicas have no stretch at all. Growing style will also be of importance. Some like to grow sea of green style packing the area with as many plants as will fit. Most often this means smaller plants. There are many variables to consider, but it seems you left most of the info out. Good luck. Peace GS

Space_Station_Solaris
10-16-2008, 03:29 AM
until ya ready!

Bullethead21
10-16-2008, 06:06 AM
Thanks Space-Station that was pretty much the info I was looking for. I think its sativa strain and size is my bigget concern right now which is why I was asking when about a good time to start was and my assumption were correct.

ABout how low should somebody bring the light time down to for flowering? About 6 to 8 hours of "On" light and the rest (16 hours) in the dark? That sound about right?

Thanks again for the info Space Station.

PS- Sorry GS, but Im a newb and not a grower by any means of the word...I dont know what info I am "supposse" to have....and I also have no idea what your post is suppose to mean really other than the part where you attempt to explain that the plant will get bigger when it starts to flower (Duh).....this is about the only part I "DID" already know about (just not about "how" big) which is why I was asking for info on the topic in the first place. But thank you anyways!

YukonBikerGuy
10-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Cannabis is for the most part light sensitive to start its flowering phase. When daylight reaches 12 hours or less per day, the plant will start to flower. (The exception are equatorial sativas, which tend to flower when they reach a certain size, and autoflowering plants which will begin to flower even under 24 hrs light) The trick with indoor growing is to get them flowering, yet still provide as much light energy to the plant for bud production as possible. Generally, most people flower under a 12/12 lighting schedule.

Space_Station_Solaris
10-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Until you're ready!

Bullethead21
10-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Awsome info from both you guys, exactly what I was looking for.

I actually am reading the Cervantes archives and it explains alot. I think Im ready to start bring down the light to start flowering...not sure if this is a sativa in which case I should wait until it starts flowering on its own your saying? Or I think I want to force flowering at this stage cause its already about 17" high.

So for clones, I just wanna take the biggest looking leaf and pinch it off at the stem, im familar with thsi technique, then replant in small pot. I thought for clones you needed more than just a good strong healthy leaf and stem....awsome info guys!

Thanks also for explaining what the terms mean also!:pipe:

Space_Station_Solaris
10-17-2008, 02:01 AM
Until you're ready!

Yea, you should have been ready for all of this before asking advice.
But best of luck!

Bullethead21
10-17-2008, 05:08 AM
Thanks again Space_Station......the more I read the more I realize how involved and how much you must know to even attempt a decent grow......we have decided to wait another year or so myself and just do more research for now.

Next year maybe i will be ready to actaully give it a go for realz and will actaully have some space also as we should be moved into new pad way before next summer gets here........for now I think I will just stick to the readers club and keep looking at all these wonderful pics on this site.....truely amazing photo's!

YukonBikerGuy
10-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Even if you just stick a seed in dirt, and throw it under a CFL, give it some basic plant food according to the box directions, and water regularly, you will grow a cannabis plant. Even if the results are poor, you will learn something from the hands on experience, and you can always try again. Then when you are ready to set up a serious grow in yer new pad you will be that much further along experience wise. I know the first couple times in my life I tried to grow I had poor results, and now I know the reasons why. And even with some limited experience, when I decided to set up my serious grow, I studied and read and asked advice, and I still made mistakes. Nothing beats hands on experience IMO.

Bullethead21
10-17-2008, 06:37 PM
What does that mean exactly? How will I know Im ready? Im here to gain knowledge about indoor growing of various type plants. I thought thats what this forum is for. Am I in the wrong forum or something?

Please dont bother wasting your time answering my newbie questions. Im doing everything I can to learn and research and experiment. Its hard enough to do this as it is ..I dont need any further hinderance.

PS- Im not a idiot either. I hold several degree's in engineering...I thiink I can figure this one out with some friendly help and advice from people with experience which is why I came here in the first place.

Until you're ready!

Yea, you should have been ready for all of this before asking advice.
But best of luck!

Green Supreme
10-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Illegitimus non carborundum. Peace GS

Bullethead21
10-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks again for your help bro. Its much appreciated. Ive had some experience in the past and though I dont really have anything to compare to at the time, I didnt think I did so awful bad. I just wanted this next time around to be alot more profressional and done "correctly" so to speak.

Even if you just stick a seed in dirt, and throw it under a CFL, give it some basic plant food according to the box directions, and water regularly, you will grow a cannabis plant. Even if the results are poor, you will learn something from the hands on experience, and you can always try again. Then when you are ready to set up a serious grow in yer new pad you will be that much further along experience wise. I know the first couple times in my life I tried to grow I had poor results, and now I know the reasons why. And even with some limited experience, when I decided to set up my serious grow, I studied and read and asked advice, and I still made mistakes. Nothing beats hands on experience IMO.

Bullethead21
10-17-2008, 06:49 PM
I wasnt aware you spoke latin bro...:snake:

Dont worry...I wont....and if they do, I just go look at your pics! Have I mentioned how awsome they are latetly, BTW? They rock!

Illegitimus non carborundum. Peace GS

Green Supreme
10-17-2008, 07:05 PM
:)
Thanks man. Peace GS