Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed up drying?

Default Speed up drying?

Can drying be sped up by using heat and low humidity?
    I know with buds this can make the smoke harsh, but what about with bubble?
    Can I put the bubble on cardboard and put it in the oven at a low temp to thoroughly dry it?

You could put the hash onto a screen of a dehydrator on low, with cardboard above and below so that the hash doesn't blow away. Just keep the temps low, under 120 f.

if you put on cardbrd an in freezer, the water comes to surface an cardbrd acts as desicant an gets rid moisture.
    on saying that i normally crumble as fine as can, and under grow lights for couple hours on cardbrd/beer coasters (which i steal from local pub)

cheers mozz
    Before you ever make fun of an old person, consider that the alternative to old is, not old...
    and the only way to achieve not old, is not good

I put mine in the ballast room over night. I suppose its not that big a deal. I personally wouldn't let the temp go above 100 degrees f. I'm sure this will evaporate some terps though. Good luck. Peace GS

ps. patience makes for a nicer smoking experience. better feeling of accomplishment
    Last edited by Green Supreme; 10-21-2008 at 04:38 PM.
    Changing the color of cannabis one grower at a time.

I'm asking if drying time affects the smoke like with buds.
    Also, how will I know when it is really dry?

freezing wet hash is not a good way to dry it....and yes dongle...the way you dry and process the hash surely effects the smoke...the longer you let the hash dry. cure...the better the end smoke will be....same thing as the plant...

you will know that the Buds are dry when the stem snaps NOT bends...

I have a nice trick for speeding up the drying of bud. You need a sealed room or compartment. I use my dishwasher.

Get a product called "damp-rid" at your local hardware store.It contains Calcium Chloride (Ca.Cl)... a very hygroscopic (i.e. water absorbing) salt. I personally use the big bucket version that they have. I remove the paper seal that they put on the bucket to allow the Ca.Cl salt to much more quickly absorb the moisture. I would suggest doing this incrementally.. tear a little bit back at a time until you completely have it removed. I run a fan that circulates air across my buds and than over the Ca.Cl. You will eventually have to break up the salt because it forms into a hard solid compound in combination with the water. Breaking it up allows the Ca.Cl pellets on the bottom access to the air. You should be moderately careful with the compound... it will dry out your skin but if you get some on you just rinse it off. Though I would not suggest eating it due to the fact that it will burn you internally because of its exothermic reaction with water, its not any more toxic than table salt and in fact they use it on the roads during the winter time because it is less harmful to plants than NaCl.

Using this method and a fan to circulate air onto the buds I can get perfectly dried, stem-snapping bud in a matter of days as opposed to weeks. It will not affect the taste of the bud because its not actually making any kind of contact with the bud. The reaction with the Ca.Cl is exothermic so it does get a bit warm in tight spaces.. but not more than 10 Fahrenheit or so.

I know you were asking about drying the water hash but I figured I would pass this tip on in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by fullmeltbubble View Post
    ...the way you dry and process the hash surely effects the smoke...the longer you let the hash dry. cure...the better the end smoke will be....same thing as the plant...
    Thanks, for some reason I thought it wouldn't matter how quick the hash dried.
    I'm still not exactly sure when dry is dry.
    Will it get "dusty" and then I ball it up?
    Or will it always stay a little gooey?

I always think about using a blowdryer or the oven but i never do it, i just let it sit under a grow light, or sometimes i just let it sit.