Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: YBG's Hash Experiments

Fresh Frozen Trim Hash is like pure Himalayan Charas

Only way stronger.. but yes i agree....

Bubbleman

imo fresh dried then frozen has the best results

YBG I'm very curious as to why you stated that the trim needed to be frozen at least two weeks? Is it just for the parameters of this experiment to stay constant or does it really get "more frozen" the longer its in the freezer. Also I have a -40f freezer for work would it have any positive or negative effects on the trichomes? I'm worried about bursting them at such a low temperature.

I get -40C all the time in the winter, and my deep freezer is out on the deck. Go for it. There really isnt much if any water inside trich heads, and certainly not enough to cause them to burst (I think). You are more likely to rupture heads chopping up frozen wet hash patties than by freezing them. (Don't do that by the way.... I should know, lol)

I can only speculate as to the cause of the difference between just frozen and 2 week frozen material, but I do know that it makes for better hash. I think that being frozen for that period of time lets what little water content is in the trichome heads 'freeze dry' out, much like the ice crystals on a piece of meat that has been too long in the freezer. Dehydrated by being well frozen for a period of time.

I imagine that this would cause a few things, such as more of the water soluable terpenes getting trapped inside the waxy trich heads as they wont be as easy to leach out into the water during processing without the water as present in the waxy head to begin with. Also, with less water content inside the heads the would cause them to be even more subject to more of a difference in specific gravity than the water-laden trich heads would. It may also be that being hard frozen for that period of time affects the chlorophyl and other constituents of the plant matter in some way that affects the final outcome as well. For sure fresh material that is frozen has all the cells rupture as they freeze, which you would think would release more chlorophyl etc into the mix, but perhaps the plant material is also benifiting from the same freezer dyhydration in some way, removing moisture from the internals and locking in some of the chlorophyl etc to the inside of the plant material for the mixing process.

Again, all of this is complete supposition on my part. Just the possible actions and causes. All I can state with surety is that in my experience, the hash is always better if the starting material has been deep frozen for at least 2 weeks prior to proccessing, and that the effect is most noticeable on fresh frozen trim. Everybody is free to suggest thier own theories and/or poke holes in mine.

Thanks for looking,
    YBG
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo

Thank you very much for the informative reply. I will keep my material frozen for much longer now. I'm going to go do some research on freezing temperatures effect on chlorophyll now.