Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using Alcohol/Ethanol instead of water?

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymus Bosch View Post
    Well, alcohol is a solvent, just like butane,in the sense that it will breakdown the wax membrane and release the terpenophenolic cannabinoids, leaving you with just oil and not the intact trichome. I suspect that the bubble bags will have little bearing on the final product cause oil is still oil.
    oh i get it the alcohol acts as a solvent because it forms a chemical bond as opposed to water which is also a solvent but isn't acting as a solvent.

I figured there would be more steps to making butane hash oil than this but apparently not

Water is not a solvent in respect to the waxy membrane of trich heads (try to stir a candle into a glass of water). When making ice/water extracted hash, the water acts as a chilling agent and a carrier for the trich heads; now brittle and mechanically seperated from the plant material.... a solvent would disolve the trichs to chemically seperate them.

If a substance is water soluable, then water is a solvent for it. For instance, chlorophyll is water soluable, and will turn the water green (or red, purple etc) when making bubblehash. The bubblehash we are collecting is not water soluable. A few of the water soluable turpenes are removed during the process which is why the dry sift will taste different than the bubblehash made from the same material. Some people will mix some of the same-scource dry sift back into the bubblehash, for a more 'complete' flavor profile. Personally, I prefer to keep them seperate.

Now, for the last time..... hash is not made with any chemical solvents, period. Please stop asking about solvents and thier ilk here. We do not use or condone solvents here. If you want to know about hash, this is the place. For other stuff, go to other places man....
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo

BHO isn't considered hash? No sarcasm, I'm seriously asking.

The O in bho stands for oil. Peace GS
    Changing the color of cannabis one grower at a time.

So oil isnt hash, hash is collected trichs, oil is trichs melted by a solvent, yes?

Technically not melted. They are absorbed by the solvent, the wax membrane is dissolved and the oil is left behind. It strips it of terpenes.

Though I suppose that there is already too much discussion about oil.
    Subtle is the Lord, Malicious He is not.

I think that this discussion should be okay and allowed because its helping me, and others, to learn that there is a difference between Hash and Oil, which I hadn't previously known. I had thought before this discussion that Hash was a term used to describe ALL concentrates (Bubble hash, finger hash, BHO, Qwiso and so on) made from marijuana. But FMB has helped me to clarify! Thanks!

Word!

-hieronymus Bosch
    Subtle is the Lord, Malicious He is not.

agreed with leaving this up for ppl

Yeah I didn't know either to be honest, I figured since it didn't look like oil, it's hash, but it's not. The alcohol or butane absorbs, water is used to seperate the trichs from the matter(makes sense). I agree, we should leave this thread up for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES.