Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding pesticides

Default Avoiding pesticides

Does anyone know if there are some particularly resistant strains to choose to purchase for vaporizing in order to avoid contaminated bud? I know you're supposed to stop using any pesticides a few weeks after harvest, but I want to be sure. As a health conscious user, I'd like to know if there is any way of predictability here, since no one wants to be inhaling any unnatural chemicals off their herb.

Thanks a lot,

Joe

I say grow your own, and grow from seed(growing from seed helps avoid geting mites hidden on clones). that way you know exactly what went in to your herb!

Limeygreen Guest

If you have to use pesticides, read the labels very carefully and they should have something about the time period to apply it before harvest. If you are in doubt, find pesticides that you feel are safe and if there is no information about application before harvest, call up the company and ask them. It might be easier to get an answer from them though if it is registered to be used on crops that are smoked.

Another thing to think about is the disease triangle. It has Environment, susceptible host and pathogen. If these three requirements are met, then you will have a problem. Good maintenance and cultural practices should significantly decrease any problems so choose strains that are suitable for your growing situation and keep an eye out for any signs that may lead to trouble, ie excessive rain, hail etc. If you choose a heavy, dense indica in a very wet and humid environment it has a good chance to mold. If inside, make sure you have good environmental controls and monitors ie adequate ventilation, good air circulation. Make sure your cropping style is suited to the plant and try to be as sanitary as you can when visiting your plants, especially if you were outside or anyone else that may be near the plants.
    I hope this isn't a huge repeat of what you already know and hope it helps out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Limeygreen; 03-20-2008 at 04:57 AM. Reason: adding picture

just pray the contamination isnt sulfur burners. Cause that transfers thru in vape, in water hash, in dry sift, and even in the dreaded O#L .

anyway my two cents

Bubble man

I'm actually not planning on using pesticides myself, I was just a little concerned about it if I ever had to find trustworthy sellers to purchase from. The thought of pesticides kind of brings me to another possibility - bugs. I know the hashmaking will effectively eliminate any bugs, when the chance to do so arises . However, if my outdoor buds happened to contain some bugs (which I'd think is pretty inevitable), it'd be okay to just vape them straight, right? I also might grow a little indoors pretty soon. I don't happen to have a set of bags yet, but hopefully, will have enough crops to merit the need for some!

Also, would you guys say it's okay to merely bury and properly position (with the seed/stem pointed the right way, which is something I read about) sprouted seeds in your soil? This would be easier than actually growing small plants to transport to my outdoor locale. Thanks a lot for any tips.

Limeygreen Guest

I don't know about hashmaking eliminating thrips, those bastards get in where ever they are not wanted, but I'm not sure.

I've been using water, Neem oil and a lil dishsoap as a preventative and cure for fungus gnats, soil mites, and powdery mildew for quite a while now. Its all natural, makes leaves shine, and pests seem to hate the garlicy smell. Can use as a dip, spray or drench (with good drainage). In fact, once I started to use it, all pests vacated never to come back. Regular sprays keep the powdery mildew in check. My bro has used it as well on thrips, to great effect. I will never grow without some Neem oil on hand. Hope this is helpfull to someone.

YukonBikerGuy
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo

well as good as neen oil works, i gotta say the same thing, dont use it in BLOOM.
    otherwise you will have hash in the end ( if you decide to make some,) that tastes like a concentrated bowl of neem oil.
    Works great in veg, but not in bloom
    My two cents

Bubble man

Hmm, I havent noticed any detriment at all, including in bloom, but at that time I apply at quite low concentrations. Also I dont apply Neem oil in the last 2-3 weeks of bloom. Mostly I'm using it at this stage against powdery mildew. Tried several things for it, with Neem oil working the best. I'd be willing to do a resultant hash test with and w/o the oil if you have another effective control agent for that pesky powdery mildew to suggest.
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo

Neem oil (cold press ) is the best ,, love neem for many things .

BUT i also use alcohol mixed with water ,, kills anything standing! or anything
    trying to grow on plants ,, won;t hurt nuffin , cleans the leaves also ,,

i go with about 2 to 3 table spoons per gallon ,, and yall don;t pass out on me here,, but i use it in bloom also if need be,, and yes i have sprayed it on buds with trichs all over it ,, never hurt a thing ,, we checked with a scope before spray ,, and after ,, same spot .. no effect !
    REALLY!