Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gimme your opinions/thoughts

Default Gimme your opinions/thoughts

Doing a little research here, and only you guys can help me. I'm working on some slide stands, using gong fittings. What i'm wondering is, what percentage of your collection is 14m or 18m? I know a lot of cats say they try to only use 18's, but that's not always the case nor is it always feasible.

What i'm thinking i could do is, use only 18m fittings and provide adapters for those who need/want them. How would you guys like that? Or would you rather have 14m fittings for your 14's? Making them on a custom basis per order won't be an issue. I'd just like to hear your thoughts to see how i should order the fittings.

Oh and btw...i spoke to UST. Will be using their Uber fittings, after i use up the few i've got on hand. Any response is appreciated!
    Last edited by johnnyballbag; 08-22-2009 at 05:25 PM.

You need to make these pronto so I can get my hands on one! My personal opinion would be 18's! but you def. need to make some 14's for other collectors. I think everything you said in your thread is a good idea and I would go ahead forth with it! Good Luck.
    .:Here is wisdom. Let Him that hath understanding count the number of the beast; for it is the number of a man; and his number is 666:.

yeah i would definitely take one. one question though, are you going to sort of "recess" the joints into the wood or whatever material it is? or are they going to be sticking out a lot? like i said i would def want one but i wouldnt really want the fittings to be sticking out a lot. and i have all 18s, so i would want one with all 18s, and then maybe get a couple bushing adaptors, that way if i do ever decide to get a 14, ill have a spot for it, AND already have the bushing adapter to use on my tube! good idea johnny!
    ~space lion~

I might try and recess them, but it just depends how clean i can do it, being that they've got a weird shape to them. The adapter idea with all 18m joints was just a way for me to try and make the stands "grow" with you, as your collection changes. But of course totally custom is an option. I'll throw up some links of the kinds of wood i'll be using if anyone is interested.

hey cant help but over hear your dilemma over here bro, my suggestion is universal fittings that fit into the wood that can be flipped for 14 or 18 if not that some sort of adjustable resistance mechanism so that there is no definite size, so you have a shop you said to do all this?

Vm

Good idea, but i wanna use standard gong ground joints. I can make whatever anyone wants, but that'll mean that most of them will have to be on a custom basis, which is fine. But i kinda wanted to make a few, but also don't wanna make something that no one could use.

Hello FMB,
    I think that your idea for the adapters is very resourceful, that being said you should probably make a couple full 14 slide holders as well. I have 5 14s and 2 18s so at least for me I would need at least 1 slide holder all 14.
    THanks Furnace

great idea johnny! i was trolling the shelves at lowes yesterday trying to find prefect fitments for a stand i was trying to conjure up. My mission failed and I really couldn't find anything decent. I like your idea much better! I agree with on silver wings. Personally I would want 1 with all 18.8 joints. I think the adapter for the the 14s is genius cause then I could still rock my 14's in my 18.8 tubes and such.

How much are these gonna run? estimate? I would love 1 that held about 10 18.8. decent spacing nothing to crazy.

As of right now, i'm trying to use at least AAA grade veneer. The first few will be mostly walnut burl, with some bird's eye maple for contrast. Def gonna be more than like the roor stands, but obvioulsy a lot nicer as well. I'm hoping to keep them at around $20 per slot, across the board.

The simplest solution would seem to be offering two sizes of bowl blocks.... all 14, and all 18..... otherwise its custom combo headache land... imo.
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo