Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iran, Afghanistan, India?? Where was first?

Default Iran, Afghanistan, India?? Where was first?

Who was the first culture/people to actively cultivate and harvest for hash/concentrate??

I'm thinking it must be somewhere around the middle east??

I would hope Bubbleman knows something about this.

Input appreciated.

-M3

Hey socal, sorry this hasnt been answered yet. I will go thru my hashish book the next chance i get and do some quoting.
    I would think afghanistan myself, for hash production especialy. but ya never know its a big world out there. and i gotta admit my history isnt that great.

I forewarded this post to skunkman sam, hoping he will give us some answer's cause i know he knows.

Bubble man

Limeygreen Guest

I thought that it is thought to have started in China, in Turkestan? I remember reading about the best hash coming from a place in china.

Yeah check our Clarke's "Hashish!" as he goes into some detail on this subject. From memory it's impossible to say, but cannabis and hashish practices seem to have started somewhere around Persia to Northern India but I remember Clarke speculating that there were probably parallel "discoveries" of cannabis and hashish extraction in the region. Certainly Afghanistan has the longest, modern hashish culture - but it was probably pioneered somewhere between Nepal and what is now a Western province of China (I forget the town's name but all of the best hashish makers were to be found there).

I read something where it stated that hash originated from central Asia, where it is also said that marijuana first populated the hindu kush mountains. Also somewhere in India where it ties in to the culture, theres also a story of an egyptian who started it. It is also said that the word assasin originated from the arabic word hashshashin which where the people who where most likely to commit murders, due to the influence of hash.

VM12

There seems to be only guesses and theories where cannabis originated...the only real proof will be fossil evidence...ideally, there will be dated evidence of man processing or at least some actual connection between Man and ganja that can be carbon dated.

Just because ganja grows wild in parts of India, Pakistan and Nepal, doesn't mean it originated there, several thousand years ago, the deserts of Nth Africa were green, now it's sand dunes...the same could be said for the other locales, Central Asia, Western China etc that are supposed to be the original area where cannabis first grew and was used by Man...just because it was first written about there doesn't make it the original locale

Though it's likely that cannabis did originate from somewhere between Turkey, Nth Africa, Siberia, India and China....it's unlikely an actual specific area will be located precisely, mainly because cannabis was used by Man long before records were kept...seeded bud it was probably transported hundreds of miles each year by migratory tribes, traders, wars, brides and travellers.
    Last edited by Kif it Kunta; 02-25-2009 at 12:49 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

.................................................. .
    ----------------------------------------------
    .................................................. ................

Kif - I saw on National geographic evidence of marijuana (actual perserved plant matter) found on anglo mummys dating from 5000 years ago on the central asian plains. Part of a show ' China's Mystery Mummies ' apparently these mummies contradicted perviously held theories on when whites came into contact with asain peoples.

doesnt answer the hash question, but lends merit to it having gone down in western china.

There was a story of a dig in China where the "king/holy man's tomb" had manicured buds in a animal skin bag next to the corpse. Dated some 5,000 B.C. I will ask a friend for a news source. Now this doesn't answer where in China(big F'n country) nor the question of glandular extraction. just my 2cents...
    "warm smell of colitas rising up through the air"

Ayo Abyss! I saw the same thing or something similar, to much cali mist... so my recollection is kind of hazy.. But uh some cat was buried in a big Ol' temple, and buried with mad mad baskets of quality herb. I cant remember if I saw it on discovery or read it online. But I did see photographs of the aged cannabis.
    Those that rushes my cluthes get put on crutches. Get smoked like dutches from the master, Hate to blast ya, but I have ta, you see I smoke a lot. - The Illest

Default hands

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbleman View Post
    Hey socal, sorry this hasnt been answered yet. I will go thru my hashish book the next chance i get and do some quoting.
    I would think afghanistan myself, for hash production especialy. but ya never know its a big world out there. and i gotta admit my history isnt that great.

I forewarded this post to skunkman sam, hoping he will give us some answer's cause i know he knows.

Bubble man
    anyone touching good sticky bud would get on their hands and its been growing a long time everywhere