Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Answer from TORO to all your crazy rumors!!!!!

Default ????

Quote Originally Posted by WAK View Post
    PS---Those of you who say we're so rich and made our money should come check out my bills each month--we live week to week--we haven't even come close to making it yet--but we still have fun and work hard despite the lack of payoff!!!
    ^^^^ I think people don't realize how exploited artist's are on a daily basis, even the ones 'making it'. People keep talking about how expensive the glass is. I wonder if they're actually forgetting that they are getting middled and all of that money is'nt going directly into JP's pocket. They're a lot of expenses in running a business, just look at the price for a lathe alone, and apparently he has two. You also have to consider the thousands of hours dude has spent perfecting his craft.

As for people bitching about the design of his new work and how it isn't aesthetically pleasing and shit, are you serious? Show me your BFA, because as far as I am concerned your opinion is just that. Save that shit for your high school ceramics critique. Dude is an artists, let him create. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Not every design is gonna be a winner, but through creating 10 protos maybe 1 will be killer.

I'm not gonna speak for JP, but, it's pretty much accepted as common knowledge that most real artists hate commissions. That's why they're artists. They have their own personal/individual gift to give to the world. So, everyone with all these new 'toro innovations', get a lathe yourself and start making some tubes. I wanna see JP tubes.

Bitch fest,,,, done..... -ohg

Default whoot whoot!!

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyHighGrade View Post
    ^^^^ I think people don't realize how exploited artist's are on a daily basis, even the ones 'making it'. People keep talking about how expensive the glass is. I wonder if they're actually forgetting that they are getting middled and all of that money is'nt going directly into JP's pocket. They're a lot of expenses in running a business, just look at the price for a lathe alone, and apparently he has two. You also have to consider the thousands of hours dude has spent perfecting his craft.

As for people bitching about the design of his new work and how it isn't aesthetically pleasing and shit, are you serious? Show me your BFA, because as far as I am concerned your opinion is just that. Save that shit for your high school ceramics critique. Dude is an artists, let him create. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Not every design is gonna be a winner, but through creating 10 protos maybe 1 will be killer.

I'm not gonna speak for JP, but, it's pretty much accepted as common knowledge that most real artists hate commissions. That's why they're artists. They have their own personal/individual gift to give to the world. So, everyone with all these new 'toro innovations', get a lathe yourself and start making some tubes. I wanna see JP tubes.

Bitch fest,,,, done..... -ohg

Thank you!!!!! As for the high prices---that is not in my control---I work directly with 25 stores--that is it!!! they all keep the prices very reasonable--there are store names that I have seen that supposedly carry TORO, that neither me nor my one distributor have ever heard of--from what I found out--some of these stores are buying pieces from other stores at retail and then marking them up on top of it!!! My plan is to compile a list of approved stores in hopes of putting a stop to people getting ripped off--when I hear that our pieces are going for 4 figures it infuriates me too!!! especially when we only make a tiny fraction of that price--someone is making out, and it's not us!!!

As for being involved on the forums, GLASSTRO, I am told on a daily basis about our exceptional customer service--what other companies actually talk to you on these forums????? not that many ---and the ones that may are way newer and smaller and still establishing themselves--I am a mother of 2(my eldest who has a severe learning disability and who I spend hours with daily helping), an acupuncturist, and I manage JP(which isn't an easy task!lol) and the 6 other guys who rent space in the shop, do all of the glass ordering, talk with all of my stores, do the labeling, put all of the orders together, do all of the shipping, do all of the accounting, answer all of the e-mails, buy all of the shop supplies, etc, etc. and still take the time out to talk to you all!!!! Now I ask you, what do you do in a day????

Yes, I am spread thin, but I do the best I can because unfortunately we are not in a position to hire an employee to do even half of these jobs--and while JP is an amazing glassblower/artist, he was hit by a drunk driver when he was 16 and suffered a severe brain injury--had to learn to walk, talk, go to bathroom, eat, etc. all over again--needless to say reading and writing never really came back to him--which is why, I believe, he is the amazing blower/artist that he is today

Anyway, I get side tracked!!! I have to figure out how to multiple quote, but Glasstro, I believe that it was you that also commented on not liking JP's new design and that we should listen to you about it--well what I can say is this--first of all, I stated several times these are prototypes thrown together quickly by JP--of course pieces to the public will be more refined, but he does it this way to see how they function and if they are worth refining--so for those of you who say they look uneven and janky, well once again they are prototypes!!!!lol!!!! and we put them out like this to see what the response will be--so there are a few of you who do not like them--that's fine---don't buy them!!! you don't need to be offended-lol-for the few of you, there are over 11 pages of those who can't wait to try them and keep an open mind! remember, when JP first did the fixed diffuser, people gave him shit for that too--it was different, and some people are afraid of change-which is ok--but look at how many folks jock this now? what about the ice pinch slide--again we were given shit--how many people make and buy them now--what about the mini beakers that some said were "fugly" --guess what? These are now one of our most sought after pieces due to their great function!!!and yes, people even like the way they look now -it was just something new and different is all--

As for Jp's new percs--well...he loves them and so does everyone that has tried them--of course they could be centered--but didn't LW do something like that already?--props to him, no need for JP to copy--JP likes them to the side--no holding it just so for the perfect balance--etc etc--as for cleaning--no harder than a fixed diffuser--the concept in fact IS a sideways fixed diffuser--not quite an inline--for an "inline" is inline with the piece--this is offset purposely--it is not Inline--and from what I hear --the offsetness(is that a word?) is awesome!!! they didn't like the inline perc--too airy, too much of a balancing act--needed more drag--
    as for making it complicated and keeping it simple, well then you ought to blow glass--there is a reason for everything! Would it really be in JP's best interest to "try too hard" and make a design harder to make? At this point I have to go and am done explaining--so no disrespect, but go blow your design or pass it on to someone who can--

And EEbrew--I don't know how to answer you, you said something like--"so how JP dude each piece" I have no idea what that means???

Oh--last thing--yes Kudos--JP doesn't like the standard splashguard--and for every one person that complains that we don't use them, there are 50 that love it! I am a statistic girl, but what I can do for those of you that do like them--is see if JP would put his splashguard design into some of the pieces that he makes--would that work? then there would be a bunch w/o splashguards for those who like it that way, and a few for those who prefer it with?

I personally love not having a splash guard on my 7/13. (thanks again wak!, best customer service ever) I've never had a bit of water splash up from my 13 arm and hit my mouth so I don't realy think there is any need for one. Keep up the good work toro!

Default ^^^

sounds good!!!

oh and for those of you who still want to call me a liar in "chats" I'm still waiting for you to disprove me--lol!!!

Default Sorry, I forgot you!

Quote Originally Posted by midwestdream View Post
    nice to hear some conformation from someone "higher up." its awesome to see you taking the time to come on here and make things right Wak. keeping the Toro name clean.

2 questions for you-
    but have you guys ever tried circ to 13's instead of 13 to circ?

and have you even considered reinforcing the bottom trees on fixed stems?

thanks girl
    yes, we have made circs to 13s for sure
    and yes we have and do reinforce the bottom trees on fixed stems--check out the pipefitter in madison, WI--I believe they got the first one!

^^^ thanks for that wak! people hating these designs who havent even tried one is like someone hating some new food cause it "looks icky" without ever trying it, and then thinking they know how it will taste. totally rediculous.
    lookin forward to the 2010 lineup, heat up the competition with innovation not negativity

What does JP do to each piece? is he the one setting the trees? or making the trees?

And so No one confuses me for some hater, I've owned 4 Toros... I have much love for the older toro work.

Quote Originally Posted by WAK View Post
    yes, we have made circs to 13s for sure
    and yes we have and do reinforce the bottom trees on fixed stems--check out the pipefitter in madison, WI--I believe they got the first one!

what made yu reinforce trees? I remember when someone brought it up on another forum JP himself said that reinforcing trees causes them to break more often than reinforced trees.

Also

a person who I know tossed you guys some for a huge custom set, he said he's talked to you MANY times.

He said,

"Also, she told me (without me asking) that majority of the sections are not JP, and that i was lucky to get my custom pieces all by JP"

you publicly say JP does 90% of the reversal work and this person was told the opposite privately.

WAK,
    Just want to say that I have never used a water pipe that works better than a TORO. I personally don't want to see what other people want TORO's to have unless the artist's from TORO want it that way. As a glass collector I want to buy glass for what it is; for what the artist sees for his work and does to make it happen. quoting fullmeltglass.com about JP: "his skills on a lathe are virtually unmatchable"

BTW, I sent you a PM! =)
    M.A.N. Glass Art

“Only that in you, which is me, can hear what I'm saying.” ~ Ram Dass
    "Creativity tends to feed more creativity. Experiencing other people's work makes a better artist." ~ Jonathan
    "If it smells like trout, get the hell out. If it smells like cologne, leave it alone. If it doesn't smell at all, give me a call!" ~ Jebub

Friends don't let friends use BHO.

Default /////

Quote Originally Posted by EEbrew View Post
    what made yu reinforce trees? I remember when someone brought it up on another forum JP himself said that reinforcing trees causes them to break more often than reinforced trees.

Also

a person who I know tossed you guys some for a huge custom set, he said he's talked to you MANY times.

He said,

"Also, she told me (without me asking) that majority of the sections are not JP, and that i was lucky to get my custom pieces all by JP"

you publicly say JP does 90% of the reversal work and this person was told the opposite privately.

ok--as for "reinforcing" trees--when JP was saying that he wouldn't "bridge" trees-- the extra glass around the bottom of the tree arms does cause extra strain on the glass unless they are all exactly even--he still will not do this!!! I, who come onto forums and answer e-mails, brought it to his attention that people were complaining that tree arms broke wither due to vibrations from hitting the tube, or an actual fall, and I agreed with the customers that if you are going to make a purchase of one of our pieces and they are not cheap throw away pieces, that they should somehow be made to withstand a decent fall--so JP came up with the new way that he welds his trees and also designed the new "armless tree"--thus NO arms to brreak off! He also put a video out showing how hard it would be to break a new welded tree--so hmm.. I guess we do listen to our customers--I have also been very fair with those who did have their old style arms break--I know there are a couple members on here who can vouche for me on this. As for the fixed diffusers--I had maybe one that I know of--but yet we still do offer the option to have these welded too!!!

I know who you are talking about as for the custom set--I have found that this person seems to like to misconstrue my words, or doesn't pay too close attention--but what I said was that there aren't that many fully worked/super heady tubes that JP gets to do anymore--most of the more worked ones are collabs such as Banjo, Snic, slinger, PAkoh, Ghost, etc. but JP doesn't get a lot of time to go off on pieces by himself--and he really wished that he could do it more, but there's not enough time in the day! I stated who's sections we use--and I'm pretty sure at this point most people can tell JP's work from Dosher/ Ease/ Tre who are the 3 people we have got the most sections from! Also, the person you are referring to--I spoke to once to find out what label he wanted on the set, once to ask him about the review he put out on the 6 in 1(I am interested in all sorts of constructive criticism), and the last to talk to him about a issue---I think some people like to make it seem like they are tighter than they are???? I can only guess on that one though...

As for what does JP do in a day on pieces--he comes in every morning and makes 20 sections-which he then hands over to JEH who works them into trees or circs--and sometimes makes the trees/circs himself too--then he works on 20 fixed diffusers--then takes the pods that someone else makes in the shop and seals 20 trees/circs and attaches 20 mouthpieces and icepinches--there are 2 head guys in the shop now that help him occassionally with the tree seals and mainly do the feet-- if there is any time left in the day--he works on a side project set--the last thing he was working on was a 21 piece rasta set, but he got frustrated with it and stopped--there are random parts of it in some pieces already out there! He does a million more things too, but my 5 year old has had it with me on the computer, so I must go now! I hope I answered your questions as best I can for now?