Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CO2 extraction - Fact or Fiction?

Hybrid View

Default CO2 extraction - Fact or Fiction?

Yeah Co2 extraction........ Maybe you heard of the technique, seen it done, or know of a tutorial.

Is it all talk?

Or is it some guarded tribal family technique handed down through the ages to those only who were worthy........

Brothers of the glandular trichomes, help me in my quest to gather any and all info, or knowledge of this type of extraction.

never heard of it, whats wrong with bubble hash or kief?
    Paypal Verified
    smoke dank!

Fact. Read the wiki entry, its quite interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercr...carbon_dioxide

I posted this in another thread:

I have heard many rumors of co2 critical extraction done with a DIY setup using mostly paintball fittings and parts. But I haven't seen one, so they may just be rumors. The design posted above (Most designs you will see used in the fragrance industry) is/are a closed system that will recoup the co2. It has the heating and cooling elements built in. Something like this will run upwards of $50k, used. Bubbleman has also indicated to me that the US government closely monitors the buying and selling of super critical extraction units because of their ability to extract shit used in weapon systems.

Essentially all you would really need is a co2 bottle connected to a valve connected to a T-joint. The t-joint would break off into a valve and collection box on one side and the other will be the pressure vessel. The idea is to cram some plant material in a pressure vessel, open the tank and allow the pressure vessel to get up to roughly 3000 PSI before closing the valve. You could use a pelter junction to heat the pressure vessel up to 50C/122F for about 5 minutes. Then open the second valve, which is attached to the stainless steel, vented, collection box. The co2 will expand to a gas in the collection box and go out the vents. When the co2 expands, the oils will dissolve out.

There are some risks involved with increasing PSI to 3000, so ensure the pressure vessel can take that much pressure. CO2 isn't the only compound that has supercritical properties. I believe propane is supercritical at only about 120PSI. You can probably find a lot of the stuff needed to build one of these here: http://www.metalsdepot.com/ The other stuff can be found at paintball supply shops and you may need to get something lathed or milled to complete the project.

*edit - In CA for a medicinal user, oil is illegal because of the dangers when using butane to extract the oil. So the clubs/dispensaries will still sell oil, but call it co2 extracted to skirt the laws. The general consensus is that you are still getting BHO, but the product has been renamed to indicate it wasn't extracted with butane; sometimes called wax, goo, etc.
    Last edited by f0urtwenty; 02-09-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Although I believe co2 would be decent solvent for cannabis, I highly doubt there is very much concentrates made from it really out there. Maybe one day, but not Monday. Peace GS
    Changing the color of cannabis one grower at a time.

Fact. And awesome. http://www.edenlabs.org/supercritical_extraction.html.
    http://www.chemistry.adelaide.edu.au...ontent/sfe.htm
    Some just needs to pick up one of these machines and were set to go
    -The advantages of supercritical fluid extraction (compared with liquid extraction) are that it is relatively rapid because of the low viscosities and high diffusivities associated with supercritical fluids.

-
    Carbon dioxide is the most common supercritical solvent. It is used on a large scale for the decaffeination of green coffee beans, the extraction of hops for beer production,[4] and the production of essential oils and pharmaceutical products from plants. Few laboratory test methods include the use of supercritical fluid extraction as an extraction method instead of using traditional solvents

Hmm seems this last line is most deffinelty referring to medical cannabis... "the production of essential oils and pharmaceutical products from plants."

thats one extract type that i haven't yet been apart of the process , but i have grabbed some from my favorite dispensary in frisco and im positive it was a different solvent used then butane, from the look2the taste 100% different. it looked like red sand(never seen red sand in person but from what iv seen, just like it) and it just tasted alot cleaner and had much irritation on the throat and a pinch or2 on a few snaps would have you nice and toasted, a little pricey but definitely worth it2me...

Thumbs down co2

^^^^ kinda what he said. A club in LA called the Cornerstone Research Collective had some CO2 extraction about a year ago. They were calling it amber glass cause it was red and glassy like compared to wax, goo or whatever else you wanna call it.

I believe it was actually CO2 extraction because I was fairly friendly with the owner and he seemed to care about his inventory more than most in the area.

However, the stuff tasted absolutely horrible. Literally like melting plastic. It also gave me the worst experience from anything cannabis to date.

The stuff I think was 70 a g and he gifted me almost 2 and I just ended up giving it away cause none of us wanted to smoke it. I prefer bubble or dry siv any day, but that's just me

I wish I still had some CO2 hash left. It was a hard yellow ball that would turn into an oil if you held it too long. If I had some left I would post a picture. There is no better hash that I have seen, CO2 hash in the bees knees.

Default Now ur talking....

Quix my friend, that is what I seek.

I, as you, have seen and smoked, what I was told to be "Co2 extracted".

The extraction technique most are describing here, is of a hash oil type extraction (super critical) using a pressurized tube to extract. Why???? Could not Co2 be run into the water of a bubble bag type extraction?

Thanks to all that have replied. I'm sure there are those with the knowledge of the process, that renders a final result that I seek. As I have seen it, held it, and smoked it.

Bought to me from a friend, of a friend, of the person that made it.
    Oh yes! there was a "story" that came with the jar, 3/4 full of this foamy yellow "Lard" looking, beautiful sticky mass.

So I continue my quest.....