Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: CO2 extraction - Fact or Fiction?

Default co2 concentrates

Quote Originally Posted by sunseeds View Post
    Nicely put. Definition is appropriate. solvent extracted "oil" is not Hash, water extracted resins are.
    its more appropriately called HONEY OIL. bho aint got shit on this thoroughly extracted extract. bho is narrow in its spectrum of dissolving tricomes and leaves essential oil behind in the matrix even if butane is clear after rinsing. supercritical butane has more solvating power, but have never seen anyone do it @ 580 psi and 306'f. co2 is also tunable with heat directly effecting pressure. more heat = more pressure. not the case w butane or propane.

I know you can extract cannabis resins with co2.. but its strange that no one has ever posted a photo essay of it.. i mean we all have camera's most of us on our phones... yet.. you dont see the thread...
    to me a picture is worth a thousand words.Be nice to see the photo essay of C02 extracts...

my two cents

Bubble man

some pics of ...the machine ...the whole process...the co2 oil...and some lab reports of purity....til then give me my 8 bags and some h2o have a blessed day

I keep looking for an affordable machine, but the process really requires lab grade equipment to be done safely, and its not cheap. Even the smallest machine takes up considerable space as well. Some of the largest require that you fly out a tech to set it up and teach you how to do it (paying room, board, and wages).

I have come across a very small scale process that might work, but it makes approx 0.01g or less per fraction, it is also very primitive and not the cleanest process for debris in the final product. Does not seem to be scaleable to larger runs, more of a demo process than anything.

You can be sure that if I find a safe workable process, I will be sharing here before anywhere else, as always.

YBG
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo

Add me to the list of people who have been under the misunderstanding that C02 and dry ice extraction are the same - but clearly from this thread there is a lot more to it than that.... seems there is a lot of confusion out ther in the wider world, as evidenced by this youtube vid which purports to make "Dry Ice (C02) Hash).... some of the comments on the youtube video confuse the issue even more, with some claiming that the elusive "C02 Hash" made with compressed gas is simply a pseudonym for BHO used in places where BHO is illegal.

Just for the Record.. cause i have not written it anywhere as of yet..
    The dry ice method in my opinion.. is extracting way to much contaminant.. would love to see that shit under a microscope or my lens..
    the chunks look nice... but the green powder looks utterly brutal.
    I really dont get the excitement about a method that allows you to extract high levels of contaminant...

Bubble man

The video shows a dry sift style extraction using CO2 to freeze the material brittle enuff to sift. I notice that he is using fresh undried material as well. This results in a semi-pliable if somewhat contaminated hash.

CO2 extraction can also be done under pressure. At 3000psi and above, CO2 acts as a supercritical solvent, dissolving the trichomes in the process, and ending up with more of an oil as a final product.

The confusion about what is hash and what is oil exists, and persists, unfortunately. It's easiest to think of it like this: If a solvent has been used to disolve and collect the trichomes, its oil. If the trichomes have been seperated mechanicly, its hash. Lots of stoners are lazy, and call it whatever. To make it even more confusing, CO2 can be used in different processes to yield different products.

I try to be accurate as possible, and not pass on the 'lazy stoner info' as much as possible. People already look at cannabis users as 'dumb potheads', and I feel we do not need to encourage that stereotype.

Hash is hash, oil is oil. Hash oil is made from hash (not bud or trim). Jellyhash is a bastardized mix of hash and oil (usually to beef up some shittier hash).

Did I get off on a tangent?.... I'm high.... later...

YBG
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by YukonBikerGuy View Post
    The video shows a dry sift style extraction using CO2 to freeze the material brittle enuff to sift. I notice that he is using fresh undried material as well. This results in a semi-pliable if somewhat contaminated hash.

CO2 extraction can also be done under pressure. At 3000psi and above, CO2 acts as a supercritical solvent, dissolving the trichomes in the process, and ending up with more of an oil as a final product.

The confusion about what is hash and what is oil exists, and persists, unfortunately. It's easiest to think of it like this: If a solvent has been used to disolve and collect the trichomes, its oil. If the trichomes have been seperated mechanicly, its hash. Lots of stoners are lazy, and call it whatever. To make it even more confusing, CO2 can be used in different processes to yield different products.

I try to be accurate as possible, and not pass on the 'lazy stoner info' as much as possible. People already look at cannabis users as 'dumb potheads', and I feel we do not need to encourage that stereotype.

Hash is hash, oil is oil. Hash oil is made from hash (not bud or trim). Jellyhash is a bastardized mix of hash and oil (usually to beef up some shittier hash).

Did I get off on a tangent?.... I'm high.... later...

YBG
    Makes sense to me - I guess it's been said several times in this thread (and others).... I appreciate y'all's comittment to keeping the terminology correct (and the product fine).... that's what keeps bringing me back to this site.

I had a friend who used to use the dry ice method, and always seemed to produce that green keif crap at the end of the video... I know a guy who makes his own CO2 critical extraction, but he won't give up his secrets :-/

And I agree with Bubbleman all the way, why go for quantity if it just means low quality?

So if I understand correctly, the CO2 extraction method, while still an unproven and costly way to make hash oil, might hold promise for the future. There obviously needs to be more research and info on the topic, and a picture or video thread would be a good first start.

All things considered, however, imagine supercritical CO2 was a feasible extraction method that created high quality oil. My question is this: will this oil not have many of the same properties that bubble hash? Will it be mainly thc and fewer other cannabinoids and essential oils? Or is there just not enough information to know?

Thanks