Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: CO2 extraction - Fact or Fiction?

I started extracting a few years back when i found myself with large amounts of trim.
    place trim ice and a gallon jug and you can watch the trichs fallout
    in the last 2 yrs I have tried every extract method that i have heard of even suggested. so far the bubble bags are the most efficient and quality per quantity is good. I started looking for HOPS extraction and perfume extraction the research is there in those fields and CO2 is proven method for extraction.
    i will try steam extraction soon going to build a still and see wont be hash but should be a pure extract. when he book shows up the SCIENCE will continue.

http://www.oilganic.com/books/Superc...pounds%20.html

I saw this post on another site earlier. I lol'd

bho making bylaw # 424.12-6,7:

"when making bho, if you have an explosion blame it on everything BUT the explosive gas used to make said bho" , "if all signs point to bho as blame, say it was CO2 extraction and not bho afterall"

Last edited by shmalphy; 12-15-2011 at 06:23 AM.

Last edited by anonymouse; 02-29-2012 at 04:57 AM.

The advantage of CO2 oil over bubble or solventless hash is that you are guaranteed a full melt, high potency product. The potency will vary dependent on the source material, but the presence of plant matter and other contaminants will be consistently minimal. Unlike bubble or solventless extracts, the end product is decarboxylated, or activated. Heat is applied during the extraction which transforms THC into it's active form, making it an effective format for edibles. Not all BHO extractions are active, and most doctors don't recommend using BHO in foods. CO2 oil has little to no risk of containing industrial byproducts or heavy metals like BHO does. CBD, a "secondary" cannabinoid, does not translate well into BHO. Bubble or solventless hash and CO2 extracted oil both contain a similar or in some cases, higher ratio of CBD per source material yielded. This makes CO2 highly appealing to the medical industry, as the end product is safe, clean, has an excellent cannabinoid profile depending on source material, and can be used in foods effectively and safely. I don't believe that terpenes and flavor translate as well into CO2 oil, honestly. Next time I pick some up, I'll post up photos.

Neat, I really wonder about oils sometimes, is that a pricey product? Co2 extraction is NOT a cheap setup. I suppose im cynical and highly doubt anyone is providing this for mmj clubs.

Yes it is, but it goes far. For edibles purposes, a .5g syringe contains approximately 400mg THC and 400mg CBD but are $30 a piece. Still, if a patient is flashing it off of a skillet or nail or the Health Stone, they can get as much as 30 doses out of a syringe. The above picture IS super critical CO2 extracted oil purchased at a dispensary in Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Criceolation View Post
    Yes it is, but it goes far. For edibles purposes, a .5g syringe contains approximately 400mg THC and 400mg CBD but are $30 a piece. Still, if a patient is flashing it off of a skillet or nail or the Health Stone, they can get as much as 30 doses out of a syringe. The above picture IS super critical CO2 extracted oil purchased at a dispensary in Colorado.
    400MGx2 is .8g... so how does a .5g syringe contain .8 of product? just wondering...
    Everything I post is really the work of a Mysterious Purple Rhino named Lazarus, he's 'cool', and he talks to me sometimes...

^ Correct, I was operating off of the math I used for a recipe containing two syringes. The actual dosage would be about half that. The oil results in about 40% THC and 40% CBD, so a .5 syringe should contain in the neighborhood of 200mg of each as opposed to the 400 I previously stated. Good catch and good math, tastey.