Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Intake Suggestions for Closet grow.

HerbalToker Guest

thanks SLH! Just wanted to figure out what to ask around for at the stores.

Peace

HerbalToker Guest

lol at 440 CFM im not surprised it would take down my lttle 34 cf tent lol. Need to get myself a fan Speed Cotroller. Thanks guys. Been looking into it.

For Intake, im thinking that if a few 6" holes with the Speed Controll will be Perfect. As well help with the Fan noise. Seeing as i sleep next to it lol.

Potentially even just a few Axial fan Intakes and avoid the need to power down the fan. I guess the more air movement the better.

Thanks for ur help guys.

Peace
    Last edited by HerbalToker; 08-17-2010 at 09:59 AM.

The fan speed controller is not a cure all.... The fans themselves don't really make much noise.... the moving air is kinda noisy if there is nothing connected to it. (Ducting, a carbon scrubber, whatever)

However when you add a speed controller, if u slow the fan down to much.... the motor will start to hum and this is just as loud, if not more so than the "whooshing" air noise.

If you have proper intake, there will be no problem with your tent collapsing in on itself.

HerbalToker Guest

Interesting about the noise coming from the slowed down fan kony.

Yeah about that, thats why i said in the end, maybe just no fan speed controll, and a few Axial, or computer style fans for intake. The noise coming from the fan really isnt very loud once ducted though your right.

Thanks guys!

I disagree with KoNY.

The reason stores sell fan speed controllers is precisely because they are a solution.

You are not going to slow the fans down that much to cause a 'slow hum'. It will however control over-suction, and it does reduce noise over a fan running at full speed, regardless of attachments.

I build my own dimmers cheap and simple from parts at the hardware store. Cut an extension cord in 1/2 and put an electrical outlet box in the middle with a light dimmer switch installed in it, with the cord attached on each side, its really really simple. And does the same job as the 1 the store will sell you.

BTW: those lil computer fans you are thinking of for the intakes will be way under powered for the job.... the suction from the exhaust fan will be more powerful slowed down than those lil fans running full speed. They wont even really be helping very much to push the air in to relieve the exhaust fan of the burden. You would do better to get the inline duct fans if you insist on an active intake.

Just my 2 cents.
    YBG
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo

HerbalToker Guest

Thanks ybg

I certainly dont Insist on active intake, just another idea i thought id ask about. I am going with the speed controller, and then the intake will be a simple fix.

Will just have to look into Light Sealed intake options.

Thanx

EllieGrows Guest

HerbalToker Guest

Thanks Ellie, found the same one.

Quote Originally Posted by YukonBikerGuy View Post
    I disagree with KoNY.

The reason stores sell fan speed controllers is precisely because they are a solution.

You are not going to slow the fans down that much to cause a 'slow hum'. It will however control over-suction, and it does reduce noise over a fan running at full speed, regardless of attachments.

I build my own dimmers cheap and simple from parts at the hardware store. Cut an extension cord in 1/2 and put an electrical outlet box in the middle with a light dimmer switch installed in it, with the cord attached on each side, its really really simple. And does the same job as the 1 the store will sell you.

BTW: those lil computer fans you are thinking of for the intakes will be way under powered for the job.... the suction from the exhaust fan will be more powerful slowed down than those lil fans running full speed. They wont even really be helping very much to push the air in to relieve the exhaust fan of the burden. You would do better to get the inline duct fans if you insist on an active intake.

Just my 2 cents.
    YBG

So wait a minute... you disagree that if "you slow the fans down to much" they will hum? I don't understand. I didn't say if you slow the fans down just a little bit they will hum.

Also the reason a store sells something is to make money. 80% of the stuff in a hydro store is unnecessary or can be acquired elsewhere for less risk and less cost... I can't think of the number of times i've went into a store and was offered crap i didn't need.