Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Hashish!" 2nd updated version

You did read it correctly, but your method of determining the amount of resin (THC) left in the debris may leave something to desire. I know when me and Clarke did the experimental work we found up-to 50% of the THC still in the debris, but it all depends the variety and the methods used.

you're correct that is it's all about the technique used...when I dry sift with maximum yield in mind there is definitely less than 10% of the resin left on the plant material..I know this for a fact because I have run the sifted plant material through Bubble bags or alcohol extractions on several occasions only to yield less than 10%.

maybe he's talking about gentle sifting for a short duration?

Perhaps Clarke should edit it to "up to 50% of the THC is still in the debris after dry sifting" or to "from 10% ~ 50% of the THC is still in the debris after dry sifting depending on the technique used"

anyway, it's not a big issue, just a little misleading, thanks for your input!.....and it doesn't detract the book from being, by far, the best book about dry sifting and hash in general based on a 70's perspective. I know cos I have bought two copies from Bubbleman's retail site. Though you have to admit, a modern updated version would be wonderful.

With easy to sift varieties like Skunk #1 or Sleestak it is easy to get more then 50%, if you have a good technique, and the materials are dry and ready. With some varieties, or not dried and cured materials, the yield is less then 50% of the THC as measured on a GC before and after sifting. With water sifting 90% resin (THC) removal can be done.
    I was shocked also, I also tried the debris and it was shit. But if you water sifted the debris or Butane the debris you did get more resin or oil, what can I say?

Perhaps that dry sifting yields between 1% (in your case) and 90% of the resin

BTW I do not recommend oil, it was an experiment.

Yes, we're in agreement there...some call it honey oil, I call it resin dissolved in petrochemicals

Maybe you just dry sift forever until all resin has been removed?

Sometimes yes, sometimes I go for purity, sometime both, but most of the time I sift the material up to a point to just before the sifted resin will not form together with thumb in palm pressure..then when the sifted material is magnified there is less than one resin head visible per square cm.

I don't need to, so I don't.
    -SamS

Yeah, we know Sam, we've read about how good it is and seen the photos..it's outstanding, no doubt about it Your secret technique can produce 99.99% pure dry sift, the downside is that you leave 90% of the resin on the material...which in itself is not that outstanding...post photos of 99.99% dry sift yielding most of the resin on the material and we'll really be impressed.

or post your 99.99% technique and I bet that others could further develop it into a higher yielding technique while maintaining near the same purity, now that would be really, really impressive.
    Last edited by Kif it Kunta; 03-10-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

.................................................. .
    ----------------------------------------------
    .................................................. ................

I know this for a fact because I have run the sifted plant material through Bubble bags or alcohol extractions on several occasions only to yield less than 10%.

im a little bit confused....your actually arguing aganist yourself...if your saying you removed the majority of the trichomes in your "maximizing yield" method...and THAN your ALSO getting 10% on your oil(and thats a very very unscienctific way of coming to your conclusion)than that means you DIDN'T remove as many trich's as you thought...if you removed all the trich's there's nothing for the solvent to bind to and your yield would be a lot smaller if non existant....

I never said I removed all the trics, ...I remove a vast majority of them, less than 10% as you quoted me, (who's confused here?) Sam said that 50% of the resin is left on the material after dry sifting, based on my experience I disagreed as I find there is 10% (or less) left on the material ...I came to this conclusion after seeing the tiny amounts yielded when dissolving the already sifted material in alcohol or running it through Bubblebags..actually 10% is a bit high, I don't weigh it, 10% is just a questimate ...anyway the point is that the yield I got from extraction was a long way from being 50% (which was main point of contention) . When I finish dry sifting material, I throw it in the compost (as you do after Bubblebagging plant material) as the effort involved to try and retrieve the other 5% or 10% is just not worth it.
    But if the material is lightly sifted, then yes, there probably would be 50% of the resin left on the material (but that's not something I would do though, "waste not, want not" and all that)

I hope that clarifies it for you
    Last edited by Kif it Kunta; 03-11-2012 at 01:37 PM.

.................................................. .
    ----------------------------------------------
    .................................................. ................