Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: YBG's Hash from Trash Photo Essay

Default YBG's Hash from Trash Photo Essay

Ok, I have been putting this off for a while now, mostly just from laziness and more interest in hitting the new bong than anything else I guess. Lol.

A while ago I mentioned to a few people that I not only made hash from my frosty bud trimmings and popcorn buds, but also from all the clippings I get throughout the cycle, right from cloning prunage bits, yellow leaves, plucked fan leaves, culled plants of any sex, all of it. Veg trim hash. Well there was some interest from a few people in this seeming collection of smokeables from total garbage, and I promised that I would document the process next time around, and this thread is the result.

To start with, it seems that most strains I like to run seem to have some trichs forming during the vegative phase. My M1 and the Sister M in particular make quite a bit, even under 22hrs of light per day. Here are a couple of shots of the Sister M in full veg under 22hrs. You can see the frosty on the little leaves even.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo

Ok so now I'm gathering all the stuff together, same as for any other batch. I love my Bubblenow, its an awesome ice-hash innovation.

The bag of veg trim is about 4.5 lbs.... I been lazy a while, lol.

Mashed it up a bit and took out the major sticks ect. Not too many in there as I kinda keep it cleanish as I collect it, but not always.

That is what 200g of the dried material looks like, max load for the 5 gal Bubblenow bag.

I'm going to skip most of the basic process, as it is well documented in several posts by several people in these forums.

Here is the foamy goodness comming out of the Bubblenow, and a shot of the dark colored water in the bags.

I mixed for 15 min, then a rinse run for 4 min, all into the same bucket. Some will say I have mixed too long, but bear with me. From experience, I know that the quality of veg trim hash is affected little by mixing time except for the particulate issue, and we will come to that shortly.....

Not going to post many pics of the bags either, but here is a shot of the 220 workbag, and you can see all the particulate sludge in there. Better in the bag than in the hash. Washed that crud right down the drain, after I washed all the foam through it with my ice water sprayer.

I must say that dabbing the patties gently in the dabbing screen (pressing screen is a misleading name methinks) on a paper towel and leaving them damp did make it much easier to chop up to dry.

Here are the dabbed but damp patties, the patties chopped up wet, and close ups of the wet chopped hashes.

The 160u looks & tastes pretty green (as usual), and with veg trim hash from dry crap like this, I just always assume that even tho it will get you high, it is really going to be non-smokeable because of contaminant, and save it up in a jar for a later project.... maybe cookies or something.... dunno yet.

I am still working with a basic 3-bag system at this point, soon to upgrade with more bags, and then maybe I will do this again and see if I can extract some better quality hash from this material.

I actually ran 2 batches, for a total of 400g of starting material....

Here is the double batch chopped up to dry, and the same, after about 18hrs of drying time. Once it is completeley dry I will try to remember to weigh it and post yields, if I haven't smoked too much of it before then, lol.

I have smoked a little of each of the 25u and the 73u, and both give a buzz, but I certainly prefer the 73u of the two. The hashes come out blond, and drier rather than sticky and soft, and the high tends to be of a lighter more cerebral variety, almost sativa like.

What strains are in there you say? Some of everything that went through my grow space, including stuff I dont even have going anymore.......

Anyway, hope you enjoyed my post, thanks for looking.

Puff Puff Pass,
    YBG

trash into hash any day
    i still cant get why some people throw out there trim

I know a few people who toss all that right into the woodstove, compost it, or just dump it in the woods.... Maybe people are too conditioned into thinking that the flowering buds of the wonderful cannabis plant are the only parts with any value. Some of my best smokeables have come from the little sticks and leaves I pull out of buds as I roll, that pile up on my rolling tray, saved in a big jar untill there is enough to process..... Maybe I am just too frugal, but why toss away all those little trichromes I've worked so hard to cultivate? My personal philosophy at the moment seems to be use all of the plant to the fullest possible extent, and waste as little as possible.

nice post yukon glad to see u got it up
    i gotta try this one day if i cen find some veg trim hehe i never veg i do sog grow
    for sure very nice write up and glad u showed us this
    have a nice day man
    K.I.C.C
    proud member of JO.int since 1998

yukon i totally agree why waste what you spent time and patiences to grow