Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Atomic NL Test Grow

Default A more detailed update

Wow, am I ever falling behind. Most of the pictures for this project are in the can, I just need to sort, write and post it all up. Maybe I can get caught up by the time the actual smoke testing begins.

In any case, on with the update. It has been 3 or 4 days since the last set of pictures. General format for this series of pictures is plant identification shot, a whole plant shot, and 1 or more closeups of the top cola/buds. More or less... stoner, yanno...

At this point, the plants have been under 12/12 for approx 5 weeks. Still recieving food. The baby puke smell has left most of them, and they are each developing unique odors. They all appear to be healthy as heck and starting to really devlop the flowers now. The next few weeks should see the plants double or more in weight.

Hope you enjoyed the update,
    YBG
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo

Very nice! I've enjoyed growing out a Female Seeds cut of NL, and this one has been on my list to try as a result. This is encouraging, can't wait to see your harvest and smoke report. Gonna be a lot of hard work to test them all and choose the keeper!

Default Time for an update

So its been a rough time for Mr Cripple this winter, and nearly 2 weeks have elapsed since the last set of pictures. I have done the bare minimum to keep the garden healthy and running for this time, but that didn't include as many pictures as I'd have liked. Oh well.

First off I took some general shots, of the lower and upper canopy:

At this point, I realised that so much development had gone on since the last picture set, that I should try for a few (quick) individual shots as well:

Getting nicely chunky, and most have lost the baby puke smell, as other more aromatic scents emerge. No more food for the crop now (almost 7 weeks flowering, carbo-loading the last week). They will be completley flushed twice and given only pure water to drink from this point on.

Thats all for this update, more to come.
    YBG

11 looks crazy dude. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing. Peace GS
    Changing the color of cannabis one grower at a time.

Default Oops, stoner time....

These pics belong with the last set, left lady #8 'out in the cold' on that post.

Ya man, #11 smells a bit fuel-ish.... not quite a diesel, or fuel oil smell, but definately a strong hydrocarbon. Makin a ton of frost, and may be worth some further investigation.

YBG, stoner

Default Update-a-reeno

Okee & the Dokee as well....

Has been 10 or 11 days since the last set of photos. Just some overall shots. Plants are starting to really thicken up, and some are also starting to get colorful. The earlier finishing phenotypes are starting to look near ready. Many leaves are showing nitrogen deficiency and starting to yellow and/or die.

Looking across the canopy at the various plants, several look like they would be happy with some nutrient fiddling if selected as mother stock. A little more on some, a little less on a few others, modified micronutrients on a few more. Pretty typical for a seed crop. I just fed them (and the companion plants) my '3/4 strength' program that works well for my usual runs, and let it fall where it may, rather than trying to micro manage each plant. It does give a general idea of the nuterient requirements for the individual plants however, to keep in mind for those that may be selected.

Getting closer and closer to chop time.....

YBG

Default A darker update (for color's sake)

Realised that the last set of pics were pretty yellow, and not very true to the plant's colors. So the next morning before lights on, I popped in again for another few quick overall shots. The colors and also the foxtailing exploding buds are much easier seen.

Plants havent moved from the night before, so you can should be able to pick out some of the individual plants from the previous photos. More to come....

YBG

those look superb
    nice job

Default Time for trimming...

Just past 9 weeks of flowering, time to cut and trim these ladies. This is a couple day, multi step process for me(@ the best of times), so photographing it and keeping it all in order was quite a challenge. It has taken several hours just to sort, edit, resize, and add the pictures to my gallery in correct order for just this 1 post. All in all, I think I only missed taking 1 photo in this series, not too bad.

General format for this series is: ID shot, whole plant with leaves on, bud shot(s) with leaves, whole plant without leaves, bud shot(s) without leaves, and then a shot of that plant's trimmed bud hung/ready to hang, and then any comments I have on that plant.

In no particular order.......

Lot of medium and smaller nuggets on this 1.

This 1 is chunkier, and more representative of the average.

This 1 has started to pop a few late male flowers, or 'bannanas'. It is nice and chunky, but I will not be selecting it for a mother.

Uh oh. Male bannanas.... and ripe seed as well in this 1. Which means that at week 4-5, when 2 other hermaphrodites in the garden were destroyed, bannanas inside this plant's female bud released pollen, and had long enough for ripened seeds to develop in the remaining weeks. The entire plant has not gone to seed, but it appears as if most of the major buds have a seed or 2 in them from self seeding. Definatley not going to be kept as a mother.

Also some late male bannanas on this specimen, will not be retained as a mother.

This 1 also had some nanners, and a ripe seed visible. Will not be retained as a mother.

This 1 was nice and heavy, with a fat juicy cola.

Lots of nanners, and self seeded with ripe seeds. Will not be retained as a mother.

Flaked on the tray of trimmed bud, sorry. Hard to see in the last pic, but this one also had late forming bannanas. Will not be retained as a mother.

This plant was not the biggest at harvest time but may have benifitted from longer feeding/flowering times. Very interesting specimen. Most of the leaves had frost on them, and the inner leaves are pretty much coated. Bet this would be a good 1 for bubblehash off the trim. It has an interesting smell about it, slight hydrocarbon, like diesel or fuel oil, but not quite, fuel-ish for sure. Looking forward to the smoke test.

The buds were all hung for 2-3 days, and then put into individual jars to begin curing.

Smoke Reports are on the horizon!!

YBG

Default First Smoke Report

Well, the first few plants worth of buds are ready for some testing, so away we go. (the frowns on markers just mean I wont be selecting that particular plant for a mother)

Format is: A few shots, then comments, and weight per plant (not including popcorn nuggets or trim)

In no particular order....

This 1 had some loose seeds rolling around in the bottom of the jar, and I thought the test joint bud was seed free, but about 1/2 way through I had a lil popcorn popper in there. The buds smell woodsy even when broken up, the first toke was so peppery it made me sneeze violently. Burned clean with a nice light grey ash, had an average taste and and an ok medium stoney buzz. This plant yielded 68.5g

This jar smelled like stale fruity candy stuck into a cheeseburger, with a slight hint of mint. Sounds a bit wierd, but the overall effect is actually pleasant. Buds are fairly sticky with a few loose seeds in the bottom of the jar. First toke was a bit fruity, and then slightly of pepper, but not to a sneeze. Buzz was fairly clear headed, maybe even a bit light for my taste. This plant yielded 70g.

This specimen smelled a little woodsy, till slightly crushed, and then gave off a very strong minty scent, almost tingling in the nostrils with a very light bit of a fruit undertone that increased as it was ground up. The nuggets had a nice density to them, the smoke was very smooth, we finished the joint before we knew it. Buzz was sort of creeperish, and increased over time, stoney. This plant yielded 66g.

As I unpacked this jar, there were a few male flowers on the bottom of the jar. The nuggets are very dense, with LOTS of crystals all over their entirety. The way it looked up close and felt very sandy between my fingers reminded me of the feel of batch of nice Champagne I had several years back; it also felt like rubbing sand between your fingers... If it weren't for the nanners, I'd think about keeping this 1 as a dry sifter, just handling it a little leaves a lot of dry sift on the work surface. Smoke was very smooth, and gave a medium stoney buzz. This plant yielded 86.6g

Thats all the testing for now, more to come. Keep your eye on this space.

YBG
    Last edited by YukonBikerGuy; 03-14-2011 at 06:24 AM.