Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help an "old noob" find glass?

Default Help an "old noob" find glass?

Hello-

I am not new to smoking (20+ years of use) however... I have been content with my old pieces for a very long time and not bothered to look at what is currently available. I've had the same recycled-glass waterpipe (double perc) for 12 or so years, the stem is a simple pyrex tube with pull-out stem (with neoprene gasket). It seems identical to the stems used by Graffix etc some years ago.

I have a couple nice pipes, one was made by a glassblower who lives near me named Buck who just did very well at the Champs flameoff (maybe some of you have heard of him?). His stuff is very beautiful but not utterly practical.

I've been looking at Aqualab and so on, and first of all, like many, I am pretty blown away at the prices. I am but a humble medical grower/user, although I am willing to pay what it takes for long-lasting tools that do the job well.

I mostly vaporize these days - I use an SSV and a MFLB. I do run my trim through bubblebags, though, and my hash pile is accumulating. I'd like to start to use more of it, but in my simply handheld pipe, it runs a little harsh and usually my throat complains for 2 days after using some hash.

I am really intrigued by these skillet style devices. But are they good for bubble, or only oil?

If they are not good, what is the preferred way to watercool bubble? In older days, I would just put a little in with my herb in a pipe but my throat issues are newer. My waterpipe does not accomodate a screen, though I am sure I can retrofit a bowl for it. However, since the stem is not Ground Glass, I am not sure how to go about this.

I am baffled when looking at the stuff available nowdays, much of it makes no sense to me. Is there some kind of guide to glass for people like me?

I do enjoy how beautiful the art pieces are, but I doubt I can put out more than 2-300 max for a hash piece.
    Here are my specific questions I guess:

- Should I seek a stem for my current waterpipe? Is it possible to retrofit a graffix style stem with a ground glass (or whatever is needed) to take a hash skillet type bell? Is that even what I need? Some of you seem to use plain old bowl-looking things (with titanium screens?)

- Is it worth it to use the SSV as an engine for hash? I have tried putting some in the wand on the screen and setting the temp to max, it works sortof but seems unsatisfying. Does anyone really vape hash?

- I am open to trying to commission something from Buck but doubt I can afford full on waterworks from him. Maybe an adapter for my waterpipe? What would you suggest I talk to him about?

- I live near Eugene, OR which alledly has some great glass blowers... any tips on shops to check out?

Thanks for any and all input, I hope my ranting makes sense. Since I grow, trim, and process my own, I really don't have a ton of contacts to ask.

Default I'll throw 2 cents in.....

[QUOTE=upriver;71702]I am really intrigued by these skillet style devices. But are they good for bubble, or only oil? Not really the best for hash, unless it is the most pure of FMCD, and even then it will leave a little residue.

- Should I seek a stem for my current waterpipe? Is it possible to retrofit a graffix style stem with a ground glass (or whatever is needed) to take a hash skillet type bell? Is that even what I need? Some of you seem to use plain old bowl-looking things (with titanium screens?) It is possible to get retrofit downstems with ground glass joints that can accept slides and other devices with a ground glass joint, and even possibly new rubber grommets at nearly any smoke/headshop that sells glass water filtration smoking devices. Or a basic GonG water pipe complete should easily be under $200, but don't expect much in the way of fancy color work in this price range, but you will get some good functionality.

- Is it worth it to use the SSV as an engine for hash? I have tried putting some in the wand on the screen and setting the temp to max, it works sortof but seems unsatisfying. Does anyone really vape hash? I have tried vaping hash in my Herborizer a few times; goey sticky hashes tend to just clump up and clog the screen without really giving off much vapor, even on a bed of herb. Lower quality, dryer and less sticky hashes did vape better, without clumping too much, but still needed a herb bed to rest on.

Thanks for any and all input, I hope my ranting makes sense. Since I grow, trim, and process my own, I really don't have a ton of contacts to ask.[/QUOTE]

No worries, many of us are rambling posters
    YBG
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo

I love the vape h20 attachment i got for my bong, it uses glass vials to vape the hash and a butane lighter. Works best with FMCD hash though.
    S.B. 420 & Prop 215 compliant
    Please check out my website at: themadhasher.com

I can hook you up with a nice hash piece from my old glass teacher Smiley for a good price. He is currently residing in Oregon. Send me a PM if you would like to know more and get in touch with him.
    M.A.N. Glass Art

“Only that in you, which is me, can hear what I'm saying.” ~ Ram Dass
    "Creativity tends to feed more creativity. Experiencing other people's work makes a better artist." ~ Jonathan
    "If it smells like trout, get the hell out. If it smells like cologne, leave it alone. If it doesn't smell at all, give me a call!" ~ Jebub

Friends don't let friends use BHO.

I can hook you up with a nice hash piece from my old glass teacher Smiley for a good price. He is currently residing in Oregon. Send me a PM if you would like to know more and get in touch with him.
    Nice! I havent heard that name in a minute.. I used to get glass from Smiley in Boulder, CO years ago... Beautiful work as i remember it!

DJ Nikka T:
    Welcome to FMB.

upriver:
    If you would like to check out some of his art it is located here:
    http://www.glasspipes.org/Smiley
    M.A.N. Glass Art

"Creativity tends to feed more creativity. Experiencing other people's work makes a better artist." ~ Jonathan
    "If it smells like trout, get the hell out. If it smells like cologne, leave it alone. If it doesn't smell at all, give me a call!" ~ Jebub

Quote Originally Posted by BigManNew View Post
    DJ Nikka T:
    Welcome to FMB.

upriver:
    If you would like to check out some of his art it is located here:
    http://www.glasspipes.org/Smiley
    cant see any pipes there...........im interested PM me
    S.B. 420 & Prop 215 compliant
    Please check out my website at: themadhasher.com

When you hit the link click on his gallery that is located underneath his bio.
    M.A.N. Glass Art

Or to make it easier for everyone http://www.glasspipes.org/Gallery_Tr...AccountID=1704
    M.A.N. Glass Art

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear I can stop wanting a skillet since I do not feel that butane is something I want to mess with.

So it sounds like I am looking for a simple bubbler to dedicate to hash. The bowl should be able to accomodate what, a titanium or ceramic screen? Lots of the pics you guys post look like you are using a "normal" bowl, but I assume it is a GG piece that goes into a bubbler? Or do you smoke it dry? I do find it harshes my throat, but it might also be that I have to "burn" the hash a little too much in the pipe I have been using. It liquifies and runs too much so I have to really chase it with the flame to get it going.