Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011

Nope, clones taken from the growing tips of old mother plants act pretty much the same as clones from a younger mother plant. They pause upon cutting, then concentrate on making roots for a few days, then take off with the vigorous growth of a new plant.

Forming the roots of a plant (any plant really) 'in time with the season' from a fresh cutting/clone, planted into the spot it will be harvested from will always perform better than a knarly old momma will just plunked into the same place. Moms can be 'prepped' in ways that can make them be more productive when you want to flower them, but generally I find it is more time consuming and labor intensive for not always a huge gain in yield.

You fellahs have nice gardens as always.

Just my 2 cents....

YBG
    Last edited by YukonBikerGuy; 07-16-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    So if you take clones are they not the same "age " as the mother ? Maybe the growing tips would be different. I really like talking with you kief I think one always has to tune and adjust his technique as need be.I have great success with large "seed based " plants but I can never seem to achieve my goals . My plants get huge but 5-6 pounds average is out of reach it seems.I have noticed that I have some plants that go in late and are a younger plant seem to outgrow the large "pot based " plants.Do you top or anything like that ? The timing comment was right on ! well put.You have hit the nail on the head my friend ! I will post some pics up so you can see my gig again. Oldschool
    Hey bro I believe when you take clones off of a healthy mother you are establishing a new plant with a new biological clock that has not had all the things that happened to its mother happen to it. A fresh start. I know for a fact that a fresh clone put in to a green house then taken out door with the right timing will be bigger than any mother plant put out side ever could be. The key to the large 5+ plants is the size of the container, keeping them disease free, getting at least 8 hours of direct sun in the fall, 10-12 is better. and the genetics. A thin leaf growth pattern with broad leaf branching and a mix between the density of the two yields the largest plants. The 300 gallon containers I'm using now are much too small to support a plant the size I am going to end up with. I am now beginning to lay down biologicals that will help to keep my root system healthy because I am slowly but surely running out of soil. Next year I will have 750 gallon containers and the same genetics with a little better time table and infrastructure for my climate No I don't top but I do pull them out sideways through hortonova trellis net to increase the # of cola sites and open up the inside of the plant to developing

Going in to the big stretch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default ok I am jealous now !

Quote Originally Posted by kiefcake View Post
    Going in to the big stretch

I am a little ahead of you kief as far as stretch goes. Really surprised at how fast some of them are starting to go into flower. your ladies look very nice indeed ! I dig the look of the clones .
    Are you having any root problems at all ? I am putting down some Mycostop just to be sure.

How many layers of trellis do you put up? I just stretched out 325 foot tonight . What a pain the stuff is to mess with . I like how some of the dudes attatch the trellis to a pvc structure with the plants in rows ....it seems like it would simplify the process a little.

i am courious how much top dressing do you apply ?

Did you add anything for calcium to your bulk mix ?

No problems really, the preventative applications of Companion and MycoStop really took hold before what was starting could cause harm. I have 1 layer on and am adding another by sinking rebar in to the ground around the pots, zip tying 8' bamboo to the rebar and putting another layer of hortonova on. If I need one more after that i will just drape it on. Easiest way I found to use the hortonova is just lay it on the ground and roll out how much you need then cut and roll back the other way for the next piece. I didn't do any top dressing this year and don't regret it either... I did 1 application of Age Old Grow 12-6-6 at about 3/4 strength right at the end of july to kick their stretch off hard. In the beds this year for calcium I put gypsum(10#), oyster shell(10#), and bone meal(25#)...

Can't wait to move to 750 gal of soil!

Coming in to the final stretch

Nice damn bushes.
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo

^^ Yep, what he said!

Looking good kc..

Looking awesome kief ! as usual....