Thread: What's the scoop on pressing?

Question What's the scoop on pressing?

I have seen BubbleMan quoted in other articles saying that pressing damages trichomes. What do you do with final product if you don't press it?

Store as powder in jars. Powder can always be pressed if you wish. Once hash is pressed, it is hard to make it back to powder without damaging it. Peace GS
    Changing the color of cannabis one grower at a time.

I SMOKE IT.... hehehehe.. but yeah pretty much what Green said above... Leave it in Powder.. and it not only smokes better.. ( as appose to the simmering it does when pressed into hash) but also easy to fill single hits..

Bubble man

Usually I also store my bubblehash in a granulated form until smoking. Occasionally I press a little for traveling or giving away to a friend. I find it smokes better granulated, and is easier to deal out single hits, as Bubbleman says. Or roll into a joint for that matter.

YBG
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo

Thanks for the question and info, folks - I have been wondering about some of the same things.

What about longer term storage? I have read elsewhere that pressing is good for that... any experience on whether the unpressed product degrades over time?

I do notice that my crumbly head stash seems to change consistency depending on the weather... it can be hard one day, and waxy on another, which I would have to assume is not a good thing. Its all stored in mason jars in the coolest, darkest, dryest place I could find.

Any thoughts?

{edit} I see some answers to these questions have already been discussed here http://fullmeltbubble.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7078 ... guess I gotta read more before asking... but if anyone has anything to add I'm always interested to learn more.

I read in (very respected) Ed Rosenthal's 'Grower's Handbook'... "pressing transforms the collected material both chemically and physically. The glands are warmed and broken releasing the sticky oils that contain the psychoactive cannaboids, as well as the terpines, etc." I also find it easy to single out powdered and the pile lasts longer than the chip...but who is right??? It seems to smoke smoother pressed, especially if it is kickass.

It says it transforms it.... it does not say for the better, or worse.

YBG
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo

That is a very good point YBG. Plus I just read the other link...darn book kinda inferred it should be pressed to improve quality. At least to me. Thanx.

Than perhaps it would be a good idea to press as you go? keep the powder in glass and take small amounts out to press when required. All you need is a glass bottle and hot water.