Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life after bubble. No waste

Default Life after bubble. No waste

Okay so you have finished your bubble run and are about to throw out your wet, apparently useless material, don’t.

I use a very simple method to get another product from my post abubblyptic trim.

Cannabis coconut oil

Throw your wet material in a big kitchen pot. No need to use a double boiler for this method.

Add some water to the pot, enough to more than completely submerge the material. Better to have more than necessary than not enough.
    To the same pot add a jar of coconut oil. I use 1 full jar (500ml) of coconut oil per pot of plant material.

Cover the pot and turn your stove top onto a low setting. I use setting 2 out of 6. The water in the pot will keep the material from burning whilst the coconut oil is being infused.

Heat it for at least 1 hour, stirring every 10 minutes.

At the 40 minute mark, increase the heat. I turn the stove up to setting 3. Increase the heat to the point where your mixture boils slightly, and needs constant stirring, this is to make sure you get out all the active ingredients.

Now you are ready to strain. Pour the liquid through a strainer. Collect into a wide Tupperware container. You can wait for the plant mixture to cool slightly and then squeeze the material through the strainer to get out all the oil. Be careful and use common sense as the oil in the material holds a lot of heat, I recommend using gloves, any type where the heat won’t transfer.

Now you have your oil/ water mix in the container. Put it in the fridge. Wait 24 hours. The coconut oil will turn into a solid sheet and sit on top of the water. Simply stick a fork in it and pull the whole sheet out at once. Discard the water bellow.

There you have it. I then break the sheet into pieces and put them back into the original coconut oil jar then put it in the fridge. Whilst normal coconut oil can be kept on the counter, this one cannot. It must be kept refrigerated or it will go off.

This is in my opinion, the simplest way to get the absolute most out of your material after making bubble.

Use as needed. You can make chocolates by melting the chocolate down adding some oil then freezing the chocolate back into a solid. Take a small piece as it is hard to gage the potency of the product at first. I noticed regardless of the buzz of the bubble the effect from cannabis coconut oil made after bubble is a very heavy effect. When it hits it beats you up like you just ran a marathon. Good for people with insomnia.

What would be a good alternative for those who are allergic to coconut oil?

Great post by the way, I've been looking for something to do with my "spent" trim, other than just composting, so the more ideas the merrier, keep em comin!

Edit: I could also picture using the "Spent" vaped herb in this same kind of manner... My roommates think I'm crazy, but I just want the most bang for my proverbial buck.
    Last edited by hmmmtastey; 01-15-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Following the same procedure use butter instead.

I would prefer using something other than butter or margarine if possible, but unfortunately the coconut oil is not an option.

I can confirm this to be the truth.
    @ Hmmmmtastey, you could use virtually anything. We use coconut oil, the Dr. Bronners brand. But you can use vegatable oil. Olive oil. Peanut oil.(although AFOAF only uses peanut oil for an oil bath, lol). We have substituted cooking oil for butter in many recipes, simply because we were on the road.
    The only changes i would add are :
    A) 500ml of oil to a pound of cannabis, and enough water to make it stirrable. a lot.
    B) I think 2+ hours are needed. There are a lot of cannabinoids to be absorbed by the cooking oil, and it must be stirred a lot. The oil will tend to rise to the surface, so it must be mixed to come in contact w/ cannabis on bottom.
    Great job Trichey(trichome or trichocereus?)

Thanks
    Yeah you could use any oil/fat source. I have also made a quick bhang style drink using good quality eggnog from the carton, thou I wouldn’t want litres and litres of it. Better to create a more versatile product in my opinion. I prefer to work with substances that can turn into a solid and be easily removed from water. How do you go about separating, say vegetable oil, from the water without losing any oil? I have never had a reason to learn how to separate vegetable oil from water, until now.

i do the same with whole milk...melt off ice overnight...

I freeze the water. The oil solidifies as well, and they are easy to separate.
    Sorry for not being clear. There are other options:
    If one has a sep funnel, but not everyone does.
    A makeshift seperatory funnel can be made. After squeezing out the liquid, pour into a gallon jug. The two layers will seperate after a while. Putting in a warm water bath will speed this up. After it seperates, poke a hole in the bottom, preferably on the side. Drain the water layer. Stop when it gets to the oil, and pour.

I was wondering about this process...

I also cannot use coconut oil so the use of vegetable oil was intriguing..

How do you consume the vegetable oil? The only thing I use veg oil for is cooking pork chops and making salad ... ( yes its a stupid question but I dont cook very much at all so not quite sure about uses ) .

I guess I could also try butter / margarine but I am not sure on how I would do that process.

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Salad oils, dips, sauces. Pour a bit in your soup. It can really be added to many foods. Peace GS
    Changing the color of cannabis one grower at a time.