Thread: Using organic pesticides in mid-to-late flowering?

Default Using organic pesticides in mid-to-late flowering?

I had some gnats in my grow room in the first week of flower, and I've had a pretty tough time combatting them, but I think they are pretty much taken care of now. I used an organic pesticide from home depot which primarily contains rosemary oil, peppermint oil, thyme oil, clove oil, and "other ingredients." I also used some insect sticky-boards to catch any gnats that were flying around.

I am now 4.5 weeks into flowering. I've noticed on the sticky-board today that there are a few tiny little mites. After inspecting my plants, I haven't seen any mites but I'm seeing gnats on the undersides of a few of the leaves with their larvae.

Is it OK for me to aggressively use that organic pesticide this late into flowering? Will the smell of the oil/residue come off of the buds before harvest? I will probably harvest in week 8 or 9. The strain is Church.

Thanks for any and all help, I really appreciate it.

I sure wouldnt... the resin could be compromised and thats something you may not want to chance..
    Mayve some growers on the boards here could answer with a product that would be safe to use.. but from my perspective.. if your almost done.. maybe you can ride it out with safe methods that won't compromise your resin..
    Nice to see people still care.. with so many people just spraying petro chemicals all over their buds to make oil , you dont see everyone taking such care of their final product.
    peace
    Bubble man

the simple answer is NO....anything you spray on the leaves that late into flower(or in flower at all imho) is gonna be in your smoke....so NO i wouldn't spray that stuff on my garden EVER

http://www.naturalforcesllc.com/SucraShield.aspx
    Can be used up to harvest day. Has a sugar cane/dull sour smell, and weighs plants down pretty heavy. 6 hours dark after spraying, as plants are photosensitive after a spray. I still would avoid spraying too close to harvest. Use hydrogen peroxide on a paper towel and gently glide it against the underside of affected leafs when treating pest infested plants close to harvest.

Thanks so much for the replies. The SucraShield looks very interesting, however it is not at any of my local hydro stores and, obviously, time is of the essence. I wonder if there are any other sugar-based insecticides you could recommend that might be more readily available at my local hydro shop or home improvement store?

However, let me come clean about something: before posting on here, I kind of freaked out when I saw the gnat's larvae on one plant and doused it with the herbal oil pesticide. I'm really hoping I didn't fuck over my end product. Would I further compromise the quality of the trichomes/buds/fragrance if I very gently gave the plant a shower of water to rinse off any oil residue? Or is this another bad idea of mine?!

I really appreciate the help, mad thanks.

Use RO in your sprayer, and even just water can cause burning of your leafs if you leave the lights on. Also, if your water is known to be really high or low pH, balance it before spraying. But just water shouldn't hurt the plants any, as long as you spray light and shortly before lights out or under green light. I probably wouldn't spray them with anything if you're harvesting tomorrow, but water won't hurt them. My only concern would be weighing the plants down longer or further with too many sprays too close together. But the glands aren't water soluble, so a light misting of clean water should not damage your buds. Give them a chance to rebound from any drooping, spray light, and don't spray WHEN it's light.
    Last edited by Criceolation; 03-20-2012 at 01:27 PM.