Thread: 6.5/6.5 grow box Questions

Default 6.5/6.5 grow box Questions

Hello,

I have just started construction on a 6.5/6.5/6.5 grow box, the materials used,

plywood walls
    2x4 wooden frame
    wire mesh covering ventilation holes
    steel corner supports

it is a solid design but there is always room for improvement! my questions are,

1) should I use three 1000W bulbs or more bulbs with less watage?
    2) for a box that size will ventilation holes be enough to circulate air or should I invest in an air exchange system (total volume is 216 feet) the unit will be about half a foot off the ground.
    3) would you recommend putting a humidifier in the same room as the grow box in order to bring the rooms humidity up to around 45-55%?

First time indoor grow and any information would be fantastic.

Zenzao

- I would start with 2 1000w bulbs and if you have no temp problems then you could pop in a third.
    - Fuck the air exchange holes, you need at least a 8 inch inline fan (vortex or canfan brand) to keep the perfect temp (75-80 degrees F), you also want a charcoal filter to cut down on the smell, so buy an 8 inch charcoal filter and mount it to the fan inside the box so the air is pulled through the charcoal filter.
    - I would avoid a de/humidifier unless you live in a really hot or dry environment

hope that helps
    Respect gets respect.

In a box that size, I would use a single 1000W, or better yet 2 600W HPS lamps. Keep the balasts in a remote location if you can so they do not add to heat issues.

I use a dehumidifier to keep RH around 40-50% Vegging plants like humidity, but it spells mold death for buds.

Definately add ventilation, air flow is important. The air in a grow space should be completely exchanged once every 3 minutes. Your space is 6.5 X 6.5 X6.5 = 274.625 cubic feet. Use a charcoal filter and can fan as Evergreen says, the fans are rated by cfm (cubic feet per minute). I always get 1 slightly over rated, and use a speed switch to control the fan. Passive intake works the exhaust fan double; if the fan seems noisy or laboured, or the temps are still not controllable, then consider adding an intake fan as well. Intakes are best placed low and exhaust placed high on the opposite side. In this way cool fresh air moves up through the canopy and the hot air at the top of the airspace is removed.

Hope thats helpful.
    YBG
    I am the Eggman, Coo Coo KaChoo

Thank you for your replies, as the space I am constructing is 6.5 feet tall I am able to grow 5-5.5 feet up. I have been looking into screen of green and sea of green growing styles and think that setup would work best for me. my plan is 4-5 foot tall plants in 5-7 gallon pots. In that space I think 3-4 plants would work best.

Thoughts?

I currently run a 5x5x6 box with one thousand watt light. 8" exhaust with a can 50, aircooled silverstar hood. works well. my light can't be adjusted but i prefer it that way as i have crazy amounts of headroom, and with my wpf i don't get that much stretch