Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: get Full Melt from normal hash or surface bubble (Rosin)

Quote Originally Posted by cannawerks View Post
    why couldnt a digital hot plate be used instead heated water? just a thought. p
    I think it would work well to use a hot plate, but a smaller majority of people have a hot plate compared to the people that can make a hot water bath.

I looked it up and does understand hows rosin is made?

hand rubbed hash can give rosin if you wash out of your sticky hand all the squished trichome . only the sticky oil will stay on your skin . the taste is always intense and give big rush.

I haven't been able to give this a try yet, but I've been thinking of trying it inside of a hot vegetable oil bath instead of water--- I would monitor the temperature of the oil with a thermometer.

When I eventually get around to doing this Iam going to try with the oil first at 212°F (100°C) and than at a slightly higher temperature, somewhere in the 220°-250°F range.

I might also use a pyrex dish instead of a steel bowl.

It would be really interesting to measure the surface temperature of the bowl being used (with an infrared thermometer) while rubbing the same starting material on the same bowl at different surface temps.

Perhaps individual strains/different starting material/different qualities of starting material will collect rosin better than others at different surface temps on the bowl--- when we determine if this is true we can give a temperature range to the rosin worker at home who will take two or three small samples of the given starting material and conduct small "test-runs" at two or three different surface temperatures of the collection bowl, measuring temps with an infrared thermometer.

Perhaps the temperature range is small, right around 212°F, and the boiling water thus provides a convenient way to stay around a desirable temp range. But the best temperature for collecting rosin might acutally be found in a relatively wide temp range, perhaps something like 190°-250°F (87°-121°C).

Any thoughts on this?
    FMCD

Psuper According to robert connell clarke, 100 °c to 200 °c is where the most volatile terpenoid start to vaporize. So its best to keep the process under 100°c .
    Last edited by AlexParadis; 05-17-2011 at 06:55 PM.
    Ma mère m'a toujours dit de rincer les fruits avant de les consommer.

Can anyone tell me what the return on this is? I've been doing a lot of reading on this technique but I can't seem to find anything on what is lost.

Judging by what the OP was saying he got easily 50% return like any extraction your end material will always be determined by what your starting material was

First things first, big thank you and major props to comphashon for SHARING the technique...

All too often we have members of the medical marijuana/hash community find a technique or a strain and instead of sharing, they hog it and turn into little potsnobs!!<<< u all know who u are....

The main reason ofcourse is monetary gain. They want to make sure that noone can make the product they are selling and undercut their profit margins.,,,sounding a little too corporate if u ask me...

Anywho, after reading the step by step, i busted out a half gram each of some semi melty skywalker and GDP. Combined them, poured some hot water in a frying pan, put a pyrex dish over it and off I went...(althought the initial instructions said that lower grade hash or kif and non melty hash are better for this technique. Cant really comment cuz ive only done it once and with only the semi melty hash i had available.
    Will update after i do some more runs....

The hash was fairly gummy to begin with but after a minute over the hot plate it got even gummier and began sticking to the spoon.

From this experience i noticed that rubbing the hash produced less rosin then pressing it<<almost like dabbing....the hash spreads all over the spoon, creating a larger surface area. I then press lightly and kind of roll the spoon to get as much of the hash as possible to come in contact with the glass. This leaves a cloudy/white/ grayish film on the glass.<<<thats the rosin
    *dont press too hard cuz this will cause some of the hash to get stuck to the rosin and plate.

I also found that u can build up the rosin film quicker by dabbing the same general area as opposed to trying to cover the whole pyrex dish. The stickiness of the rosin film attracts more rosin .... (same thing, be gentle as to not get hash stuck in there).

After a few scrapes i take the now thinly flattened hash off the bottom of the spoon, squish a few times in order to get the part of the hash that has more remaining oils in it to the surface. Then i start pressing again with the spoon.

It does appear that u can get quite a bit of this rosin/oils out of the hash. I did 6 rounds of pressing and scraping, which netted about .3 of a gram from 1 gram of hash. The hash used is by no means done producing rosin. It appears that it can go at least another 4 or 5 rounds and net another .2 at the least...so based on these figures i would have to say that a return of 50% is not an exaggeration but the norm.

For my next rosin run im planning on flattening out a spoon in order to create more surface area and because that way i dont have to roll the spoon head from side to side which can leave hash remnants.

The finished product came out looking like some fine bubble mixed with a budder/oil. While its still warm it is very sticky and gooey. As soon as it cools down it becomes very stable. The hash i sued was fairly dark in color and the rosin came out at least a few shades lighter.

Potency is off the charts! Light smokers and beginners should be very careful. The taste ofcourse is governed by the taste of ur starting hash to some degree. My rosin had a very strong acrid hashy taste. I also had this tingling sensation that coated the mouth after exhaling...
    With most rosin, i would imagine the taste being not very pleasant and at times off putting/too strong.

The effects are immediate and very heavy, almost overwhelming at first. This is one of the last few remaining one hitter quitters in my humble opinion. The effects are also very long lasting--almost like an edible high where u hit the peak and just stay there.

A great experience and a wonderful new concentrate for people to enjoy...thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by dubplatekilla View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the return on this is? I've been doing a lot of reading on this technique but I can't seem to find anything on what is lost.
    Keep in ind ive only done one run so far....

The return seems to be close to 50%, plus the hash used can then be used in other creations like cooking, creams, tincturesetc...u can even use them to increase the potency and return of oil runs.

would this be tougher/is it still worth doing just a little bit if the bubble you want to use is already basically clear dome?