Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foamy Water?

Its definitely not from solutions that are sprayed onto the leave. I my last grow I did not spray anything, and still got foam when making bubble hash.

I would agree with Cannalingus, makes perfect sense.
    Would it be stupid to assume tat cannabis plants exude fats and oils that are similar to soaps, or that this is the emulsion of non water solubles like terpenoids (oils) that in turn causes this when agitated?

i never use a wetting agent, soaps or neem, but i am adiment about creating a mean froth when i make a batch. and it's always foamy. maybe it could be due to the hardness or softness of the water in the area you are in. i've also noticed that when i scoop the bubble along with the foam and let it sit and dry naturally with out pressing it, the water extracts itself fron the tricome material with great ease, thus when it dries by the nexyt day it crumbles apart very easily. hope this grobble helps out.
    EX-MOD SQUAD MEMBER!

A while back I decided to add an air stone into the left over water to use to feed the kids. As soon as the air stone went into the container, foam erupted like a volcano. I collected some of the foam to let dry. After dried the material looked black and flaky with a bit of "pepper" in it. The material looked like possible food grade extract, however it was never experimented with.
    During a recent field trip to the local supply store I learned that the foam caused by air/air stone in a reservoir meant material was being broken down and this is beneficial when feeding plants. This must be the dissolved organic compounds (DOC) plantbuilder posted about. Since the bags are for the purpose of separating extract from plant material why would you want plant material -aka DOC - back in the extract? So it seems that the foam is bad because it adds more plant material into the final product.
    Well further testing has made me believe that the foam may be beneficial. When the air stone is added foam starts to form, but look closely at the foam. Why is it sparkly? I think that the sparkles are resin glands bonding to the foam. My hypothesis is that the foam captures the glands, separating them apart. When the foam is set aside and processed through the bags the final product will be a lighter, fluffier high grade product. Further research will be done and I will try to post some results.
    p.s. the kids love the left over water! recycle, reduce reuse!

Quote Originally Posted by cannalingus View Post
    Would it be stupid to assume tat cannabis plants exude fats and oils that are similar to soaps, or that this is the emulsion of non water solubles like terpenoids (oils) that in turn causes this when agitated?
    it wouldnt be stupid.
    but you have to understand.
    fat and terpines are not water soluble. chlorophyl is.
    so whipping up the product in water shouldnt leach out those i don't think.