Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good books on Meditation?

Default Good books on Meditation?

Any recommendations would be appreciated

I say clean up the body before you try to clean up the mind.

http://bikramyoga.com/

peace
    Bubble man

Bubbleman...you are the one that introduced me to yoga...(www.yoga.org.nz for the free hour + long instruction video ..which was excellent) I practiced daily along with the vid for about a year then went to 3 or 4 times per week doing shortened sessions of my own design, added head stands and other more challenging poses....now over 3 years since i began ..I now have weeks where I do 3 or 4 sessions per week and other weeks without ever laying out my mat..

I've put on 5 kilos in the past 10 months and need either buy a new wardrobe of larger sized pants or get back into yoga on a daily basis...during the 12 months of 1.5 hours of daily practice I had never been as "cut" or trim around the waist as I had then..yoga and walking is ideal for PC users...cos it works every muscle that you don't use when pc-ing

what's up with your yoga? still practicing?...
    --------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

.................................................. .
    ----------------------------------------------
    .................................................. ................

I believe Bubbleman may be on the right track. Having completely control over the rest of your body, helps you get rid of any distractions which would interefere with true meditation.

When you're ready to focus your brain, check out Eknath Eswaran. He's helped a lot of people I've known personally.

Stay positive.

http://www.amazon.com/Meditation-Eig.../dp/0915132664
    Last edited by EasyBakeIndica; 12-12-2007 at 04:11 PM.

Hey kunta, I am still rocking yoga on the regular, almost daily. ALthough i have changed practices from greg and al's new zealand ashtanga course, and am now doing the much more challenging BIKRAM'S YOGA. I cannot stress enough how everone should be getting on this boat. It unreal in the way that it literaly is designed to work every single muscle, ligament, organ, and bone in your body. I mean how many exercise regime' do you know that work your organs? and glands?

www.bikramyoga.com www.bikramyogavancouver.com

Its 26 postures over a 90 minute class done in a 110 degree heat. Check my bikram yoga thread in this same forum> I will be putting up pictures of all the poses in the actual sequence when i get a chance.

Peace
    Bubble man

ROFL...My girlfriend found this studio downtown. We've been meaning to stop by, it's called "Bikram Yoga". Do you think they'd be able to get us started on the right track?

I'm new to yoga. I've only attempted to follow along with a beginner DVD, but I've been looking for a new martial arts studio since moving away from Capoeira. In a way, I liked the perspective of 'getting your aggression out'. Perhaps with yoga, I wouldn't have to channel that energy into 'aggression'.
    Last edited by EasyBakeIndica; 12-12-2007 at 06:18 PM.

Meditation ... It's not what you think.
    Last edited by Subadai; 12-21-2007 at 11:47 PM.

you could try some investigation into mandalas...they're images used for meditation if you're not already framiliar with them. there are beginner books with pages of images, and explanations on how to use them and what they represent...
    def you have to be committed to the art of it all though...

I recommend Vipassana (insight meditation). Here is a link to a book you can read online which is intended for anyone:
    http://dungtrin.com/vipassana/EngMain2ndEdition.htm#

The best resource that I know of after searching for over a decade is meditationexpert.com This Bodri guy has access to one of a few known enlightened masters here NOW recognized by the Zen school and others for attainingthe Great Enlightenment . SO at this site you learn that there is system to which you can discern someone's stage toward anuttara-samyaksambodhi. While Bubbleman is right that the body needs to cleansed to reach these higher states, the mind is the gateway that goal also. In Meditation one can offset affliction of the body, or more exactly the mind. I.E. the mind body connection.
    Here is where the New Age and the Old Age splits. The New Age seems believe that mind generates the body and all dis-ease, while the Old recognized that dis-ease stems from both. In actuality is that the New Agers are right in theory but not in practice, hince you need physical activity to meditate better , longer. Just ask the Shaolin before the Bodhidarma found them they could hardly stand (or sit ) to meditate b/c of lack of physical activity. Sometimes you need to meditate for hours to get thru some blockages. The key is both and yes Bubbleman there is a system the works the entire body it's called Chinese Kung Fu' the REAL shit not david Carradine(stole it from Bruce LEE) but don't get me started. IT includes Qi Gong, Nei Giong, Tai JI ( not the healthy New Age version either) I am talking the Supreme Ultimate (that's the literal translation) in fighting styles, don't forget the Ba Qua Zhan also. Bikram was developed for westerners for are loaded with impurities, i.e. the 110 degree heat. Just go to a sweat lodge, it's more effective. You can do more with standing meditation (Tai Ji postures) and horse stance than with asanas IMHO only. So keep on searching b/c if your peace decreases as you unfold your legs , that just means that you are' not on the other shore yet. be at Peace Colitas