Thread: System Specs Hydroponics

Threaded View

Default System Specs Hydroponics

Hi all! I am putting together a system. I am looking for a moderate system to grow maybe 6 to 12 plants at the most.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the few questions I still have after doing much reading and research.

I was looking at getting a hydro sytem kit that supplies the nuts to the roots directly with a resivour and pump sytem that also uses oxygen in the water system that goes to the roots.

Then using a 600W HPS ballist and 600w bulb. This would be a closet type setup thats about 5ft wide, 2ft deep and about 8 to 9 feet tall room.

My question is can I get away with a 400w HPS system instead? And also could I just purchase a extra 400w bulb and use that in the 600w ballist system so I could change back and forth between 400w and 600w bulb just by swapping out the bulbs. In other words can you run a 400w bulb in a 600w ballist system setup kit?

This light comes with a alluminum horozontal type relfector as I read those refelcted the most light as stainless steel absorbs some light and is not as good??

I have priced out several light and hydro kits already. Can someone recomend a good starter type system?

I think im good on the lighting or will be but Im little concerned about which hydro kit to get....are posting links allowed here so I could show you what I have in mind and have been looking at?

Also, option 2 instead of building my own little system by buying light seperate from hydro part is to purchase one of the "Areo Garden" units??? I know these obviously wouldnt work as well as abuilt system, but these untis are around 200 bucks for everything needed and seem to be alomost a better deal?? Anyone have any knowledge on these AeroGarden units?
    Last edited by Bullethead21; 10-24-2008 at 12:19 PM.