Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bay Area Butane!!

As of lately whats been advertised on the oil/wax scene is Co2 extract or O2 extract. These aren't solvents are they? Does anyone know anything ?

These things have many purposes, the one you name for CO2 is as a solvent. Have yet to see O2. Peace GS

ps. as solvents these 2 are much more safe ,as they do not attach nastiness to the finished product
    Changing the color of cannabis one grower at a time.

boooooo. solvents... The only THC that is toilet flush worthy.

Big ups to dry sift and Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Vermicide View Post
    As of lately whats been advertised on the oil/wax scene is Co2 extract or O2 extract. These aren't solvents are they? Does anyone know anything ?
    I've been trying to learn as much about this as I can and - while I'm not an expert by any means - yes, C02 oil is a solvent based extraction method (though one not as dangerous as butane because the residues are supposedly non-toxic)... and one should be careful that much of what is out there called "C02" Extract is really BHO. The actually C02 extraction method is so complex, and requires real chemistry equipment, that there is very little of the *authentic* stuff out there (and whoever is supposedly making it, doesn't post evidence of the process... so there are a lot of questions involved there).

HOWEVER, from what I understand oils (or any other solvent based extractions) are not technically "Hash."

Hash, by it's definition is a *mechanically* separated extract in which the trichomes stay intact - compared to oils or any other solvent based extraction, which destroys and recombines the trichomes into a new form.

"Hash" - especially that made with pure ice/water or simply through a screen - is what this site focuses on, and so you will see the site users are mostly aficionados of this method, and have strong feelings about the definitions used here.

I for one, have tried some different solvent based extracts, but with the dangers inherent in smoking something that *could* be contaminated by amateur handling (and possibly some evidence that residues still exist in the transformed substance), my feeling is why risk it when the chemical-free hash is so damn good..... it certainly doesn't leave me wanting anything more! And we can see everything we need to know about it with our very own eyes... no mysteries, no questions.

The co2 wax at dispenseries is of 3 kinds
    1) BHO mislabeled.
    2) Cold kief...put trim in 5 gal bucket w some dry ice, shake it around a binch for 1 min, let sit for 1 min, attatch bubble bag to top, turn upside down and shake over table. See
    Best is the first dozen shakes, as one commenter says
    3)Supercritical extraction. Thats what BHO is. At cetrain temperatures and pressure, some gasses become solvents. In this case, there is a closed system that extracts the THC.
    Rumor has it that one of these 50,ooo$ machines is operated by one person, but SOOOOOO many people use him, and he gets half, and he works all year long...and he is responsible for a lot of the real supercritical CO2 hash in dispenseries. Just a rumor

Damn Al-K, I wish I knew where that guy was... Although at the same time, what's the point when you can at most get 80-85% with CO2 as opposed to the 50-70% of good cold-water extract?

Edit: http://www.organalabs.com/honeyoil.htm states their SC-CO2 contains 120mg cannabinoids per .3g, that is roughly 40%, which at first didn't seem right to me, but sure enough that's what the test itself states.
    Given that, why would anyone want any of it when you can have good ole 50%+ cold-water or dry-sifted concentrates for a much lower pricetag (their "honey oil" is $24 per 1/3gm, talk about outrage!)
    Last edited by hmmmtastey; 01-09-2012 at 07:54 AM.